Piper, Other/Just Looking in Atlanta, GA

I wanted to submit an offer on a place. Realtor told me I could only do it verbal then called back and said

Asked by Piper, Atlanta, GA Sat Jun 20, 2009

sorry she didn't know someone else had put an offer in. I asked for disclosures and she wouldn't send them to me. I'm out of state trying to buy is this normal for NJ seems kind of strange to me.

Answers

6
Hi Piper, what you have experienced is not customary - an offer should always be in writing, and I like to include a one page acknowledgement that summarizes the terms of the offer to be signed by the seller and returned to me as proof that the seller in fact received the offer. This was a tool that we employed when the market was overheated and homes were selling fast with multiple offers. The concern about being closed out was high. In fact, by law, a written offer must be presented to the seller -he/she can decline to consider it, or respond, but the agent is not to withhold offers from the seller.

If you feel that you are being shut out for no good reason, then escalate your concern to the broker/manager of the office. If the transaction is in negotiation or in attorney review, you may still have the opportunity to be considered. Incidentally, if you are stonewalled, you can ask for the seller's attorney's name and submit your offer to him/her. The seller decides - and may consider your offer or hold it as backup.

Piper, if I can be of assistance to you up here in NJ, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. I cover a lot of ground and may be able to help you.

Jeannie Feenick
"Unwavering Commitment to Service"
Search the MLS at http://www.feenick.com
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
Sounds like she was hedging her bets, your assumption was most likely right, usually i only allow written offers no verbals.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 20, 2009
Hi Piper,
No, that is not normal. As the other agents have said all offers should be in writing with a good faith deposit and mortgage pre-approval, if applicable. If the sellers disclosure was available the agent should have forwarded you a copy and if there is no sellers disclosure the agent should have just told you that.

If you need further assistance please feel free to contact me. I lived in Manchester for several years therefore I am familiar with the area.

Heather Daccurso
Weichert Realtors-Howell
626 Route 9 South
Freehold, NJ 07728
Office: 732-577-0440
Email: heather@heatherdaccurso.com
Piper:
Piper: You leave a couple of things open in your statement that we need to know to give you our best advice.

In the first place, have you visited NJ and seen the property? Have you met the agent? Please, please, please DO NOT contemplate any purchase until you see what is on offer and meet with several agents to determine who really wants to deliver and is able to deliver the kind of service that you need.

You're investing far too much money to do this totally by remote control. Otherwise, you could just send me the money and I'll be sure to take care of it for you. (Does that that like a deal you can only get in Nigeria?)

The agent does not sound as if she takes you seriously. Any agent in this state would laugh at a verbal first offer. It is in the category of "just talk."

Law in this state does not mandate disclosures and just how seriously you can take them depends solely on the honesty of the seller. Not only on honesty but it also depends on the knowledge of the mechanics of home construction and the seller's judgment of conditions. Would you depend on an somewhat confused 80 year old person, now in a nursing home, to really know the condition of his or her property?

The standard procedure is that you should offer a contract of sale, along with assurances of financial ability to really "offer" on a property. The contract would have all of the description of the deal, who does what and when and what is truly on offer.

Please get yourself an agent who will work with you educate you and follow your directions exactly. You are the boss and if the agent does not do as you tell them to, you can dismiss them.
I am a REALTOR and I live in Manchester Twp. If you are looking at an age restricted community, that is over 55 active adult community, it is possible. We have many homes that have NO disclosures as they are estates. I do not know if that's the case, but it could be. Verbal offers are not the norm. When do you need a home? What are you looking for? May I help you?
I have been doing this business for several decades - i'm a third generation broker. BOY has this business changed.
my email is marc@marcjwilliams.com my web site is http://www.searchOceanCounty.com or my cell 732-778-9933 office number on Monday is 609-607-8600 Let's work together.
I only submit written offers, after I make sure the property is available. I also try to submit the signed sellers disclosure along with the contract. This is not always possible since seller's disclosures are not mandatory in New Jersey.

You need to know if an offer was submitted, was it accepted (offer and acceptance). If that has happened, it would be in attorney review for 3 days, during which time the home is not considered under contract and depending on the seller, other offers may be considered.

Laura Giannotta
Keller Williams Atlantic Shore