Home Buying in San Diego>Question Details

Dlnolan3, Home Buyer in San Ramon, CA

I want to trade my $1M home in No. Phoenix to a comparable house in San Diego. Are there real estate agents who specialize in home trades?

Asked by Dlnolan3, San Ramon, CA Tue Jul 10, 2012

Answers

9
Trading just doesn't happen anymore. It is not impossible but why do it? I just don't find it in your best interest. You are talking about two different markets and you're limiting yourself to people in San Diego who want your Phoenix house...why not just make it simple for yourself if you have such a desirable Phoenix property - SELL IT, cash out, then go buy another in San Diego. With a shortage of assumable loans these days you're talking needle in a haystack.

Felix
1031 Experts or Agents which have been in the business for more than 10 years will be your best bet to search and locate on the Internet... Your Best Bet would be to talk to an Attorney and get their opinion and see if you can put the home into an Assumable position with the Banker you may be able to save the home , ( rent it Out ) and still buy the property in Amercias' Finest City*... *( by motto*, ) ... be careful you have to have your "i's" dotted and your "t's" crossed when you come up against other participants ( calling you friend and partner ... ) to get a 1031 Exchange Done... back to your Attorney can you think about placing your Home into a Land Trust for Privacy you can live in San Diego , CA ... and really make a better life if you protect yourself legally*?
Trading your Phoenix house for a “comparable” San Diego house would be so difficult that it is impractical. You would have to find a San Diego homeowner who wanted to have your Phoenix house, rather than any other Phoenix house, and would be willing to trade.

Financing would be a problem. Your lender would not release you from your loan and would not allow the deed to your house to be transferred to a new owner unless that owner essentially bought the house from you. You would have the same challenge in obtaining the deed to the San Diego house. What if one of you did not qualify? Of course, if neither of you traders, who had houses that matched each other’s needs, owed anything on their houses that would be a different story. What are the chances?

Assuming that both houses are financed, what are the chances that both homeowners had equity positions that are equal enough to avoid one of the traders having to pony up substantial cash to equalize the trade value?

Have you checked? Will a million dollars buy a house in San Diego that is comparable to your Phoenix house?

If you are serious about making the move, engage with an experienced San Diego Realtor and find out what you can afford for the proceeds of the sale of your Phoenix house. Then, assuming you want to make the move, sell your Phoenix house and buy in San Diego.

Hello Dlnolan3~

As other agents have shared, it can be difficult to find 2 parties, both wanting what the other has, and to do a trade. It may in fact be similar to looking for that proverbial "Needle in a Haystack". However if you do have equity in you North Phoenix property, your best scenario may be to sell that property and buy in San Diego. I too, am from North Phx/Scottsdale area, and I can refer you to some excellent agents, if you do not have one yet. If you would like my help getting to San Diego, just let me know! It is a perfect 72 degrees in San Diego at 2:20PM, in July, nice huh?

Chris Gorno
DRE# 01499885
Windermere Real Estate
(619)788-4345
http://www.ChrisGorno.com
D --

Question --- why a trade? Why not sell your Phoenix property, come to San Diego ... rent for a few months, discover your travel sequence, decide the right location where you want to live and start your home buying process ...

You'd be the best buyer out there! Nothing to sell, cash in hand, could close quickly ... You'd have it all!! The best position any seller here would love to have ... a buyer like you!!

Another thing, once you have your Phoenix property in escrow (a committed buyer) you could actually start your search here and do what we call a "concurrent closing," so all properties close at the same time! The way this works is you would state in your listing something like "Closing subject to seller finding suitable replacement property with concurrent closing date." (May slow showing some, but a serious buyer, in love with your home, would not be stopped by this ...)

This is just a couple thoughts to make your transaction a little easier. We have several other ideas that could work as well... Like most have said, property trades are almost impossible and very unlikely to happen...

Hope this helps some. Contact us if you'd like our help or if you have any other questions... We too, being a part of the large real estate firm (Century 21), have a very good relationship with top producing agents in your area. We could synchronize the entire process for you ...

-- Rod --

The Powers HomeSelling Team
858-444-2443 Office Direct
Lic. #: 00897145

Serving San Diego Families for Over 30 Years!
PowersRealEstateTeam@gmail.com

https://www.facebook.com/PQ.Real.Estate
Dlnolan3,

Trades are almost impossible. I miss the Phoenix area (and love it), from shopping in Scottsdale to partying on Mill Ave. It was always nice to see the name Barry M. Goldwater on Sky Harbor...
One question I have is when you mention "to a comparable house in San Diego". What do you mean by comparable? comparable in size/neighborhood, or comparable in price.

I would love to help you buy a home in San Diego,

Hector R. Gastelum
Realty Executives Dillon
REALTOR #01382940
hectorgastelum@yahoo.com
619-954-2225
125*142*10754
efax 619-270-2516
Hi Dinolan3,

Trading homes is very tough and does not work out most of the time. It depends if have equity or if you don’t .And same for the potential trader. It has to be an even match and benefit both sides of the transaction. I recommend getting familiar with San Diego Properties if you haven’t. Then sell your home in Phoenix, and purchase a property here. There are such great deals here in San Diego, you don't have to spend a million dollars on a home. You can always spend less to find a suitable home that meets your needs. Then you can have cash flow for investments such as income property, home flipping or whatever suits your needs.

Michael Alex
REAL ESTATE CONSULTANT
cell. 619.581.9348 | fax. 619.521.0100
email. AskMichaelAlex@prusd.com
2365 Northside Dr Suite #200
San Diego, CA 92108
Prudential California Realty
Dino...I am a La Jolla real estate agent. I've been listing, selling and counseling people on investments for over 23 years...let me ask you if you are trading up? Or trading down? I work with an experienced agent in the Phoenix area who can assist in home trades. Most of the time, and quite possibly in this market, where there is a lack of inventory, you may want to think about selling your home in Phoenix and buying something here in San Diego that can close at the same time...or concurrently.

Please feel free to contact me and we can discuss in detail.

Jeannie Thompson
Coldwell Banker Real Estate
930 Prospect Street
La Jolla, CA 92037
(858) 395 7727
DRE#01021435
http://www.TheRealEstateCat.com
http://www.Facebook.com/jeanniethompson858
Would love to talk to you about this, contact me any time!

Kevin Sanderln
Keller Wiliams Realty
Cell 858-212-4702
kevin@kevinsanderlin.com