tyshiaj, Home Owner in Baltimore, MD

I want to sell my home and buy another home closer to the DC area. Where do I start?

Asked by tyshiaj, Baltimore, MD Thu May 31, 2012

Answers

17
Sandy Kolar’s answer
Hi There:

I suggest meeting with a Realtor to find out what your home value is. From that information, you can decide if you want to move forward and sell your home and move closer to DC. I would love to see how I can help you. I can be reached at my office 410-560-5858 or you can email me at sandy@coffeyandassociates.com

If you want to do some investigating regarding your home value yourself, you can do that at my website, http://www.sandy.coffeyandassociates.com You may also search for ALL homes for sale in MD.

Sandy

Sandy Kolar
with Coffey & Associates
at Keller Williams Excellence
410-560-5858
http://www.sandy.coffeyandassociates.com
I'd suggest that you meet and interview 3 real estate agents. Choose the one that seems the best fit for you. Ask each one to bring a preliminary market analysis for your current home. These should be done at no expense to you! I'd be very happy to be one of those realtors that you interview. I can be reached at 301-996-2924 on cell.
First step, call me and we will sell that home!
Tyshia,

If you want to sell it quickly sell to a cash buyer .

I Buy Houses In maryland check out my website.
http://housebuyingnetwork.info/cash/

or call 301 - 660-3Buy
Greg,

Thanks again, I really appreciate it. Your check is in the mail. :) Just kidding I haven't even met Greg yet but we should grab lunch sometime. Tyshiaj I would say the same thing about Greg, his answers are always accurate, helpful and straight forward. When you are ready for a Realtor I would recommend giving him a call.

Brent Mendelson
Senior Loan Officer
1ST Mariner Mortgage
O-240-235-5314
C-301-412-0259
F-240-235-8236
Bmendelson@1stMarinerbank.com
Lending in all 50 states
nmls#111407
The first step when thinking of selling your current home is to be pre-approved for your new home purchase. Most sellers assume that because they have a mortgage now and pay their payments on time that they qualify for a new loan. However, the lending industry is much different now than it was even a few years ago. I recommend listing your home for sale after you are pre-approved for your purchase.

I will be happy to help you. There is no cost or obligation to go through this process. If you don't already have a reatlor I'll be happy to refer you to a great one who will take care of you. Give me a call...Sherry Cash at WCS Funding Group at (410) 536-3601.
Hello Tyshiaj,

I have been selling homes for 22 years and know your community very well. First of all you need to get an appointment with a lender so you know what you can buy. I can stop by to give you a market value of your home. Since you need to sell your home before you can buy then your current home needs to go in market. Now as far as moving closer to DC which is easy also. If you want to move in DC Metro area then there is very wide range of area where you can decide to live.

Surrounding DC is PG, HW & MC counties and you might even consider moving in Northern Virginia as well. I am licensed in DC and Virginia also. If you want my help then please do feel free to call me on my cell @443-838-0885 at any time or just email me @asha.goel@longandfoster.com.

I can meet with you at a convenient time to you. My office is off of Charles Street which is close to your home as well.

Thank you and let me know if I can do anything for you.
CALL ME FIRST! Lol. Just goofin..but seriously a SOLID Realtor like myself could help with your 2 moves. I live in Parkville and am minutes from the 21239 area. I know BALTIMORE County & City and could certainly connect you to a SAVVY DC Realtor. All the answers below were going in the right direction. The question becomes "How do you want to proceed?" Today's market is PIPIN HOT! I SOLD 4 homes in less than 60 days!! As a listing agent, I must say I ROCK! I'm also FULL TIME and devote my FULL attention to my clients. My recommendation is to learn what the best probable sale price is for your home, simultaneously to getting a handle on your buying power. Ideally, we'd want your home under contract at a minimum before you write an offer in DC or nearby suburbs. I'd be more than happy to discuss your needs at your convenience. CALL ME at 443-538-1631.

Marlene Rogers
Hi Tyshiaj,

I recommend you call Brent Mendelson with 1st Mariner Morgage and have him pre-qualify you for your purchase. Brent is well respected on this "Q&A" forum. Once Brent establishes a mortgage amount and purchase price you can start you home search. If you are going to use proceeds from your present home for down payment and closing costs you will need a real estate prodessional to provide a market analysis of your home and likely net proceeds from the sale and importantly what you need to do to prepare the home for sale. I have a RE/MAX Agent I work with in Baltimore who can provide you with excellent advise on preparing your home for sale.

When you say the D.C. area I can only assume you mean Montgomery or Prince George's counties for your desired destination. I cover Montgomery County and it is a completely different real estate market than Baltomore so you will need to have area's that suit your needs and work commute selected once you present home goes under contract.

Greg Myers
RE/MAX Realty Group
Since I am as of now the only lender to answer thus far I have the same answer only reversed. Before you talk to an agent you should speak to a local lender who can determine if you are qualified to purchase in the price range you want. A lender can also tell you if you must sell you current home to qualify or if you can carry both payments for a short period of time. I know if your offer is contingent on selling your current home that puts you at a disadvantage possibly.

Once you have your financing set then you can start interviewing agents, looking at homes etc.
The agents I work with on a regular basis would refer you to a lender before showing you homes so why not save yourself the extra step. As far as a Realtor is concerned depending on where you wish to live I would be more than happy to recommend several local experts on the DC housing market. It's funny how it's always the Realtor referring to the lenders and rarely the other way around but I think it should be a two way street. What do you as Realtors think?

Brent Mendelson
Senior Loan Officer
1ST Mariner Mortgage
O-240-235-5314
C-301-412-0259
F-240-235-8236
Bmendelson@1stMarinerbank.com
Lending in all 50 states
nmls#111407
Hello Tyshiaj,
You could start by giving me a call at 410-925-1299. I can tell you what your home will sell for, what you need to do to sell your home and we can discuss the area you would like to live in. We can also take a look at different areas in the DC suburbs.
Working for Coldwell Banker now gives me a lot of freedom in helping you with different locations either with me or using my company to refer you to someone more familiar with the area you want to live in!
Thanks so much for your question!
Ruth Maier, Realtor
Hi Tyshiaj,

Your first step was a good one -- put the question out there and find out what people recommend.

Your best next step would be to find a real estate agent who will help you sell your home in Baltimore, and can refer you to an agent in the DC area so both agents can work together on your behalf.

Once you know your home's value here, it may be able to help you determine what you can afford and where you can look around DC.

I'd love the opportunity to speak with you and help you in any way that I can.

Thank you for the potential chance to work with you.

Have a wonderful evening!

Marney Kirk
Keller Williams Excellence Realty
Your first step should be to hire a full time agent that is experienced in listing and selling homes. They should be with a large national company with a top notch marketing progam and a company with a strong relocation department to help with your relocation to your new home. An experienced agent will be able to walk you through the process. I would be happy to help you with the process and provide you with a list of questions to ask a prospective agent. I am affiliated with Century 21 New Millennium the number 1 office in the Mid Atlantic and the #1 Relocation Office in the coUntry.
June Piper-Brandon
You start with a Realtor who knows both markets, can accurately estimate the value of your existing home, calculate the equity (cash) that you will take away from the closing and what you can afford at the next location. As you get closer to DC prices rise so this could be a challenge. I have spent my entire career in real estate and mortgage and know both the Baltimore and DC market. Plus we are a discount Realtor so you will get more when you close that with many other Realtors. I would be pleased to talk with you and give you a estimate of what your present home is worth,. Give me a call.

Bob McGee
Advance Realty Timonium
410-560-4574
my blog: http://www.baltimorerealty.blogspot.com
Hi Tyshiaj: first you start by hiring a full time experienced Realtor to represent you and your best interests. Then you want to get pre-qualified for your mortgage so you know how much home you can afford once you sell your current home. Your Realtor can help you with the mortgage process too. Then you want to put your house on the market before you start looking at homes. You can make the sale of your house contingent upon you finding the home of your choice. Coordinating the closing of both homes simultaneously requires the skills of an experienced Realtor. I suggest you interview three experienced Realtor's (five or more years full time) and hire the one you feel you can trust the most. You want a Realtor that will be truthful and honest with you not someone telling you what you want to hear. If you don't know three Realtor's ask good friends who have recently bought and or sold a house for recommendations.
And of course I would be foolish to not mention that I would love the opportunity to demonstrate how I would represent you.
Cheers,
Richard M Peebles since 1989
http://www.facebook.com/northbaltocty
http://www.RichardPeebles.com
My best advise would be to interview Realtors, and pick the one that you feel would be the best fit considering your needs. If I can help please do not hesitate to call me at 443-829-5828 or email dalehunter@mris.com.

The first step is to get an idea of what your house is worth. Most realtors will do a free Competitive Market Analysis to help you determine the value of your property.

Once you know the value of the property the next step is to get it listed.

Second you'll need to start looking at the various areas that you plan to buy. To get an idea of the properties that are available. If you plan to get a mortgage, you'll need to talk to a mortgage loan officer. I can help you with this, i have a few that I work with regularly.

Please let me know of the address and I can do a general analysis of the property and then send you comprables to give you an idea before we meet.

Chuck