Home Buying in East Atlanta>Question Details

LaKenya, Renter in Atlanta, GA

I want to report a post for fraud. It's in my mobile app notif. but not on the website. Help.

Asked by LaKenya, Atlanta, GA Fri Aug 10, 2012

The address from my mobile app is 1009 Wylie St SE, Atlanta, Ga 30316 but the actual property address is 791 Wylie St SE Unit #1009, Atlanta, GA 30316. The guy who I've been corresponding with wants me to send money upfront before actually showing me the property. He claims that he moved to California for work and is looking to lease immediately. His story has changed several times and when I called him on it, he didn't respond to the accusation.

Answers

4
Hallmarks of a typical on-line rental scam:
1. Rent is lower than it should be for the subject property.
2. Property cannot be seen because
3. The owner is out of state or out of the country. Just drive by and peak in the windows.
4. Sent money (wire good funds, no personal checks) and the keys will be mailed to you.
Often accompanied by a story that the owner had to relocate suddenly and they are looking for a good family to watch over their beloved house until they return…thus the low rent.

Also, watch out for similar scams in which the “landlord” wants you to fill out a rental application which provides information of a personal nature which the scammer can use to steal your identity.
Never fall in love with an ad about a home. Hold on to your money. Only work with a Realtor. Rent with your brain not with your heart.
If you flag the post it should ask you a number of questions as to why your flagging it. Not sure though if you can do the same on your mobile app.
Don't send any money!

Get yourself a competent agent that is familiar with rentals in the area you are looking and move on.