Charmione Tu…, Both Buyer and Seller in East English Village,...

I want to invest in section 8 homes and Duplexes and wanted to know about the process and requirements

Asked by Charmione Turner, East English Village, Detroit, MI Fri May 9, 2008

I want to invest on section 8 homes and Duplexes. I wanted to know what paperwork I needed to fill out, requirments, locations of the section 8 tenants, and what requirements would I need to process a loan or grant.

Answers

7
Hi Charmione, I have two rental units in Pontiac. I had a tennant ask me if I would consider sec. 8. I knew nothing about it. She had already applied and been approved to receive sec. 8 so I contacted her counceler, filled out the paperwork, had an inspection on the property. I only had to install hardwired smoke alarms to pass. I also had to register the house with the city of pontiac. She has been in the house 2 years, we receive our rent check from the government every month without fail. I keep the house up to code , fill out the paperwork that sec. 8 and the city requires, she keeps the house very clean and everyone is happy. Contact HUD.com and your local government. Also, make sure the rentals meet the requirements and are upto code.
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 10, 2008
Charmione, I'm definately not an expert but will help bump your question back to the top. I do suggest joining an Investment Association, that may give you access to experts.

The City of Detroit website may have some of the answers you need about buying, section 8 landlord requirements, and grants. Make sure you read up on blight ordinances, I heard they now require a dumpster for any evictions.
http://www.safeguardproperties.com/content/view/1085/106/
http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/Departments/PlanningDevelopmentD…
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 9, 2008
i have a house in davenport, iowa.
nicole92604@yahoo.com
good morning......a business acquaintance of mine has several homes for sale... one is a duplex, and all in detroit in good areas, that are for sale land contract if you are interested.......bob mcclure- success mortgage partners- plymouth, michigan.......
I have performing rented properties, including some Section 8. If you are looking for duplexes or single family homes, I'd be happy to show you my inventory, and provide any real estate services to help you buy property on the Eastside. We have properties in Morningside, East English Village, and on the other side of 94 between Hayes/Whittier/Kelly/Cadieux. Also, in Creekside and Hamtramck.
A great book that talks solely of investing in section 8 properties is the section 8 bible. You can also find a list of section 8 investment properties for sale at http://www.section8homesforsale.com
Many of your questions can be answered quickly on HUD.org. I think this will help.