Home Buying in 78230>Question Details

Denmesam205, Home Buyer in San Antonio, TX

I want to buy my dad's house from the estate, can my siblings and I agree on a price and them sell it to me or does a judge have to be involved?

Asked by Denmesam205, San Antonio, TX Mon Oct 22, 2012

I am executrix, and my father left an invalid codicil saying he wanted me to have the house. I received all the money on bank accounts by survivorship and I want to buy the house to put some money into the estate, so my siblings can get some money, but I don't want to put all of it into the estate.

Help the community by answering this question:


Your best bet is to contact a real estate attorney, or even just contact a title company and they will walk you through this process step by step. It's actually not nearly as complicated as it sounds like it would be..

I recommend Amanda Tidmore at First American Title. Going that route will probably save you a bunch of money.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 10, 2013
Dear Denmesam205, I have a real estate attorney that would be able to answer some if not all of your questions. With respect to agreeing on a price, it would be best to have a detailed analysis of the property conducted so that you could take it to the judge and have that opinion reviewed. This way the argument of a fair market value comes from the 3rd party. As a real estate professional and expert at conducting market analysis I'd be happy to refer you to the attorney I mentioned and provide you with that analysis.
Thank you,
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 22, 2012
Of course, only an attorney can give you legal advice. In general, when dealing with estate issues, the financial implications are wrapped up with emotions. Get independent professional help. I will be happy to give you some names.

Doc Stephens, REALTOR
(210) 764-9403
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 22, 2012
As the executrix of the estate, you are held accountable to make the correct decisions for the estate. Even with a will the estate will have to be probated. Your best bet is to work with an estate attorney for your answers.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 22, 2012
Consult with an attorney, accurate advice prevents future problems....
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 22, 2012

This a family matter and needs legal expert advice. Sorry that I could not give you any advice. This is outside of my expertise.

Best of Luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 22, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer