Jimmy Wize, Both Buyer and Seller in Orlando, FL

I want to buy a 2nd home in Florida. Can I buy another home in the same state and claim it as 2nd home?

Asked by Jimmy Wize, Orlando, FL Wed Jan 18, 2012

Answers

6
You can buy a 2nd home in Florida as long as it is at least 25 miles away from your primary residence to satisfy the above mentioned requirement.

Thanks!

http://www.FidelityNationalRealty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 18, 2012
It is true that you must purchase outside of a 50 mile radius in Florida, however it is best to always check with your accountant as well as a reputable realtor, depending on the area you are looking to purchase. In South Florida we have increasing numbers of international buyers and second home buyers, the market is also listed as the 4th by Realtor.com in terms of best deals. It is worth considering! Best of luck.
If you are Looking for Tax advice consult your accountant.
The answer is normally 50 miles but the are some factors that are looked at. For instance f you live 10 miles or more from the Beach/Water and you want a buy a second home there underwritters will consider it.
Hi Jimmy Wize....
I'll just reiterate what everyone else has said.
It must be within a 50 mile radius...for "claiming" purposes.
However if it's a cash purchase, you could buy anywhere, just not be able to homestead.

Carol Bauza
Charles Rutenberg Realty
carol@carolshome.com
Not sure why J got the thumbs up. Michael is right, it's 50 miles. However, what do you mean by "claim". There are no tax benefits. I assume you are just trying to get a better rate on your mortgage.
If it's more than 50 miles away you should be ok.