Dale, Home Buyer in 44138

I walked into a house a few weeks ago and it didn't say anything about mold. But when I went into it, it was obvious that mold was all over the

Asked by Dale, 44138 Wed Mar 24, 2010

basement door, and leading down the basement. I don't know about the rest because I didn't feel safe going down. Do they not have to disclose that even before visiting the property if it is that obvious?

Answers

6
Dale..........most sellers fill out a seller's disclosure, although in NJ it isn't mandated by law. That may vary state to state.

That being said, just because you saw black spots on the door or in the basement, does not mean there was necessarily a safety issue just by being in the home. Not all mold is dangerous - it would have to be tested to determine that.

And.......anything that obvious is......well, obvious. They certainly didn't do anything to try and hide it, like wiping it down with a mixture of beach and water.......... it was out in the open......the nature of it is yet to be determined. Only an expert in mold testing and remediation can give the answer to that question.
Dale:

In OH, owners are required to fill out & sign a thorough, 4 page property disclosure.

However, in the area where you & I live, we have foreclosed homes owned by banks. The banks sell their homes "as is, where is." My guess is that you were looking at a bank owned home.

I suggest that you use the services of a Buyer's Agent. A Buyer's Agent will represent your interests, but his/her commission is paid by the Seller.

When you find a home you want to buy, make sure your Buyer's Agent includes an inspection contingency. You'll be able to hire an inspector for the home (including the lot); radon & pests. I have an inspector located in the area you & I live in who, does mold remediation, if mold is found by him. When I am acting as a Buyer's Agent, I always recommend his company. If you would like his contact info please call me.

Don't be discouraged by the one house you saw. There are good homes in North Ridgeville with some great prices.

Pat Pribisko
440-725-0910

.
Dale - thanks for the best answer!

Good luck in finding the right home !
Dale if it was bank owned than the sellers statements will say as is, if it wasnt bank owned than it shoudl be on teh sellers information report. The listing agent shoudl definately have posted a notice on the formt door if that much mold is in the property, that is a bad sign. Many peopel have allergies, asthma or other issues that could cause allergic reactions. It is a huge health and safety issue. I do alot of bpo's, inspections and showings in bank owned homes every day, i had a bad reaction to mold in one home now at the slightest smell when i open the door, i go to my car and get a mask or even my respirator mask for the heavy duty mold infestations. If you are going to make an offer on a house showing this much mold, you will want estimates to remove flooring, sheetrock, insualtion and treat all affected area's BEFORE making a bid on the house. Good luck and great question that can help others.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
You'd think Dale,so I can get the idea,you didnt have Realtor,going in.Was this an open house? sounds like it,Useally if Im showing a asset,I expect there may be mold,and most times they disclose the presents of mold,I have had to sign a waiver,before,thats pretty bad,so do need to miagate,redrywall,etc...for more details,just ask an experienced Realtor and go from there.Good Luck Dale;

tjrltr@aol.com
Web Reference: http://tjrobertsrealtor.com
Any known defects need to be disclosed. If it was a foreclosure the bank knows nothing, sees nothing, hears nothing, and stands by that.