New Buyer In…, Home Buyer in Clarksburg, MD

I visited a townhome builder's office without a realtor. How can I negotiate pricing with townhome builder without buyer's realtor?

Asked by New Buyer In Clarksburg Md, Clarksburg, MD Mon Dec 26, 2011

Answers

8
You need representation. Even though you have already gone into the office and registered, you can still insist on being represented by a separate buyer's agent. The problem the builder may have now is whether they will compensate that agent. Let the agent deal with the builder on that. You can always work that in the price negotiation because realize comps include broker fees.
Let me know if I can be of assistance, I am familiar with the TH's you visited.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 26, 2011
Dear New Home Buyer,

If you have already visited the builder, they will not honor an agent at this point. I specialize in New Homes and know their policy is very strict.

Essentially, you are on your own at this point. Check my answer to your other question.

Cathy Chapman, Certified New Home Specialist
cathy@cathychapman.com
http://www.SignatureHomeSales.com
301-514-6839
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 26, 2011
First do your homework and find out what other similar properties have sold for. When you negotiate, let them worry that if you don't get what you want, you will buy something else. You have options. Moreover, you don't really need to buy new. If they don't help you out, you could buy an existing home. Often existing homes are in better locations than new homes. It makes sense that the first homes in a community are closer to the existing infrastructure (grocery stores, good schools, parks, etc.). Sometimes new homes are built in the "leftover" locations. Also, price is not the only thing you should negotiate. You should also ask for free upgrades, favorable financing, etc. Good luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 26, 2011
It depends if you have a contract with the realtor. I would use the realtor they don't cost anything and you put the liability on them verses your self.
Dear New Home Buyer,

I'm not sure Scott knows how real estate values are determined in Maryland since his answer in incorrect. Disregard his email for the answer to determining "value" of the home you'd buy from a builder in Clarksburg. You do NOT look outside the community to determine the market value. The way values work with new home sales is this... unless the house is priced way outside the sales to-date in that particular community or that particular builder, the appraiser will use SOLD price as the market value. That's just the way it works in determining value on new homes. Unless I am mistaken you never go outside the "community" to determine a homes value unless there are no recent sales in that particular community.

Mr. Godzyk not only needs to be more educated about determing home values, he also needs to use spell check. :-)

cathy@cathychapman.com
301-514-6839
You will need to do teh job your agent would have done, you will need to research all the home ssold their in teh last 6 months, compare teh prices to square footage and upgrades to figure what the current market value is. Then look at similar units not in this complex. You can base your offer on the market value. As far as getting teh best deal most builders are more likely to negotiate on upgrades than price, find out what others got so you can do the same. A buyer agent is paid by teh listing agent in most transactions, you may not be saving anything by going at it alone.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Dear New Home Buyer,

Just as an added thought... if you have not already written a contract, you can walk away for 30 days, regroup, and return with a buyer agent after the holiday's and have representation.

I welcome the opportunity to assist you.

cathy@cathychapman.com
301-514-6839
MollyCarter
Thanks for responding. Are you a realtor? If so, how can I contact you?