Home Buying in Cary>Question Details

magesh, Home Buyer in Cary, NC

I visited a home from a reputed builder and the salesman showed me around the property. Is it too late for me now to get buyer's agent?

Asked by magesh, Cary, NC Mon Nov 26, 2012

0 votes Share Flag Home Buying in Cary

Answers

24
I agree with Larry.
No reputable builder will deny you representation, nor will they decline to pay your agent a commission as long as you did not negotiate and sign a contract.

The onsite agent represents only the builder's interests, not yours, and must work hard to get the builder the best deal possible and the most profit possible from you.
It is a true test of the builder's ethics and customer service, whether they will try to force you to proceed without an advocate. If you are denied representation, it is a clear sign that they want to take advantage of you.

All that said, don't drag in an agent just so the agent can collect a check. Make your agent work hard for you, in new construction or on a resale property.
.
.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 27, 2012
HI Magesh;
As long as you did not sign anything with the builder you should be just fine. Did you visit just the one time? I am an excellent negotiator and can help you get the very best deal possible and would be honored to assist you in your purchase.
Jim 919-961-1238
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 26, 2012
Hi Magesh: Nope! I work with clients like this all the time. Congratulations on realizing that the salesperson does NOT work for you. His/her goal is to make money for the builder, not save you money. Let me know if I can help you with the negotiation, paperwork & all the steps through to successful completion. Much more goes into this than just signing the contract. Let me know how I can help.
Elizabeth Scott, Realtor®, Broker
e-PRO, Strategic Pricing Specialist
Fathom Realty NC, LLC
Phone: 919.306.9699
TheSmartRealtorNC@gmail.com
http://www.Elizabeth.FathomRaleigh.com
http://www.TrianglePropertyLines.blogspot.com
If you have not yet selected a buyers agent to represet you, I would be happy to work with you. Please feel free to contact me at MelissaP@how.com
Thanks!
Hello Magesh
If you have not signed anything with the builder you will have no problem using a buyers agent, which I strongly recommend.
Michael
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 2, 2012
Just because someone showed you a home means absolutely nothing. All this talk about some agency being created because someone showed you a home is a fabrication in the minds of others.

If you did not sign an agreement for representation, you don't have an agreement. Things only change if you were asked if they could represent you and you agreed. Then you have some type of oral agreement.

When buyers start taking control of their buying process, then things will start to equalize. A real estate agent will always see the side of things that benefit them and their commission. A harsh reality but it is simply true. There is no profession in the world other than perhaps the medical industry where the loyalty isn't first to their income.
You probably will not have a problem having your own agent and having that agent compensated by the builder given the circumstances you presented, but it would be a good idea to ask the builder's rep that question rather than making assumptions. The commissions offered by builders to buyer's agents can range from 2.5 to 5% of the sales price. I have dealt with a number of different builders in the area and can help you negotiate the best deal possible and also rebate a substantial part of that commission to you as the buyer depending on the amount of time and services you need from a buyer's agent. I would be happy to discuss with you in greater detail if you are interested.

John Goddin
919-968-2100
Magesh,

Give me a call or send an email with the details of the new construction community and sales person you spoke with. I'd be happy to give them a call to see if they have any issues with a buyers agent representing you and if they will compensate your buyer's agent.

You really should have your own agent negotiating all aspects of the transaction for you. We do this for a living.

You can reach me at:

Jeff Warren
Broker/Owner - Triangle Area Realty
Residential Real Estate Services
919-342-0333 (office)
Jeff@TARsaves.com
http://www.TARsaves.com
Hi -- Congratulations on being savvy enough to know that you need an agent to represent you when buying new construction. Those salesfolks work for the builder -- not you! Their goal is to make money for their employer, not help you get the best deal. As long as you have not signed any paperwork indicating that you will work only with that agent, their company, or any other representatives you can, and should, get an experienced agent to represent you. I would be happy to speak with you about your options in home buying & to guide you in the process of new construction. Please contact me at TheSmartRealtorNC@gmail.com. Elizabeth Scott, Broker, Realtor
Magesh

You can retain a real estate agent at any point you wish. The question that comes into play is if that agent is indeed due a commission. Builders prefer to pay commissions based on the buyer's agent being procuring cause of sale. This means you would not have found your way into the builders office without the realtor. As mentioned in a lot of these answers builders do sometimes prefer a buyer to have an agent. I would recommend you introduce your agent into the transaction as early as possible. If you have already found a home you like, and have tried to negotiate a price or terms, your real estate agent has had nothing to do with procuring the sale at all. A lot of builders will have a sign or say that by 2nd substantial contact your agent needs to be involved if they are looking to get paid. Now builders are also in the business of selling homes, so if your agent can indeed assist in bringing the transaction to a close then the representation is going to be more than welcome. If you buy a house and then your agent calls the sales office for the commission disclosure, and they have never visited the sales office at all, then it's a bit too late.....
Never too late to get your own agent. Seller's agent or builder might be peeved that they now have to share the commission, but your interests are more important than their concerns over compensation. Best of luck with your transaction...Jim
Absolutely not!! I am sure the builder would want you to have representation! Buyer's agents are FREE! You will need guidance through the entire process from Offer to punch list. Give me a call and I will be glad to help you!
Web Reference: http://rduhomes4u.com
Good morning,
Most builders want a buyer to have representation to help guide a buyer through the purchase process. I would be happy to talk with you more about your visit and the builder & community you are considering if you can give me a call. I know most of the builders in the Triangle and can certainly tell you how great their products are.. 919 417 4367

Sharon Kowitz

Search for homes in the Triangle Area at:

http://www.KowitzRealty.com

Relocation Certified Specialist
Broker/REALTOR
Gold Sales Club - Top Producer
CRS-GRI-ABR-E-Pro-SRES-LHMSM-CREN
Fonville Morisey/Long & Foster

Email: skowitz@fmrealty.com
Call me! I'd like to assist you in the buying process. Thanks, Judy
Web Reference: http://www.judyedwards.biz
Unless you signed either a buyer broker agreement with the agent who showed you around or a purchase offer then you may still retain and use your own buyer broker.

If the builder or their agent give you a hard time I would take this as an indication that their not really ethical and I'd tell them as much and let them know that unless they knock it off you're unlikely to buy one of their homes. (There are countless new homes in Cary). I don't expect you to have nay problems however.
You can still get your buyer's agent as long as your purchase contract was not signed! Most builders would not mind or would welcome that you bring your own agent.
The simple answer at this time is Yes; however, to be certain you should ask your buyer's agent to visit the new home sales office to register you as their client. Most builders will honor this but, as our real estate market continues to improve, I would not be surprised if builders do not continue to do this. Prior to the "bubble" in the 2000's, many builders did not cooperate with buyer's agents: partly because buyer agency was still relatively new! Until the 1990's most people used either a builder's representative or a seller's agent when buying a home.
It all depends.

My client visited many homes as well as new homes prior to him getting a preapproval. I worked with him over a month to get that preapproval. Once done, I told him his best bet was to concentrate on new homes. He did so and in his second visit to the new home builder found a home he liked and signed a contract listing me as his agent.

Although it was his second visit with me not being there, and the builder policy is that I be there with him on his initial visit, the builder allowed me to be recognized as his agent. The builder did so as a courtesy and for the fact that I was integral to him buying a home there.

I don't know if you had an agent prior to visiting the builder. However, if you did and your agent was not there with you for some reason I would talk to the builder and discuss it with him.

Magesh,

It is normal for buyers to shop around before they select the Buyer Agent to get the expert opinion and help in buying process.

Binny Joseph GRI
Binny Realty Inc.
3049 Kilarney Ridge Loop
Cary NC 27511
binnyreal@yahoo.com
919 636 1582
,Not at all. Most builders do honor buyer agents as long as no purchase agreement has been signed. The only community that I know who does not honor a buyer agency after registering at the sales office is Carolina Preserve, a 55+ community in Cary.

Just remember, the onsite salesman is representing the builder/seller. Having your own representation is very important especially with an agent who has a ABR designation (Accredited Buyer's Representative) with the experience of working with many buyers and is very knowledgeable with the current market.

Love to earn the opportunity to work with you,

You can work with the agent of your choice to assist you in negotiations. However, the question of who will pay the buyer's agent; you or the builder, must be negotiated. This needs to be clearly defined in your buyer agency agreement and also the buyer's agent will likely want a signed confirmation of compensation form to ensure all parties are in agreement about commissions.
Typically, builders want to know up front if you're working with an agent or not. If you're only vistited there once, then I think you're okay. Most builders allow a one time visit without an agent, but after that you really want to be upfront and either tell them you're working with one, or better yet go there with your agent.
Most builders are fine with buyers bringing back an agent for representation as long as you are not under contract. However, I recently heard of one builder having an issue with that. I would pose the question to the on-site agent. I'm glad to help if needed.
Not at all. Most all builders in our community will work with a buyers agent regardless when in the process they are introduced. It is your right and if they want to sell you a home they will respect your wishes to be independently represented in most cases.