Home Buying in Guilford>Question Details

Readytomove, Home Buyer in East Haven, CT

I've posted before, but have a new question. My husband and I are looking to move half-way between his business (nyc), my job (RI) (and our two

Asked by Readytomove, East Haven, CT Fri Jul 15, 2011

homes!). We had looked online at homes in east haven and west haven, but then (based on some responses here) we started looking at some houses in Madison and Guilford. We would like some land (his request) and near the coast (my request). My question, however, is this too far to commute to NYC? I looked online and it seems that metro north only runs as far as New Haven? He needs to commute in about three days a week, but it seems the train might not be an option? Any suggestions?

PS: also, what is the rental market like in Guilford and Madison? Some of the properties we like have either in-laws or attached apartments. Is there a rental market in these areas? This might be an attractive option for us while we consider selling one or both other houses.

Thanks for all the info- you were all really helpful!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 17, 2011
Hi readytomove,
Many people in Guilford do commute to New York every day by train, they take the Shoreline East into New Haven and transfer to a Metro North train into New York, the train is usually there within 5 or less minutes.
If the home has an in law appartment you most likely legally will not be able to rent it as it is for an in law however if it is a legal appartment there is definitely a market for rentals.
We live in Guilford on two acres within close proximity of I-95. My husband commuted to Stamford for years on Metro North. The Shoreline train picks up from New Haven. Parking is free and plentiful at the Guilford station. Guilford is a great value these days especially given the great schools and charming village. Bishops Orchards, fresh fish, lobster shacks (Lenny & Joes and Bill's in Westbrook are our favorites) make this one of the best places we've lived (NY, MI, CT). Can't go wrong with Guilford. Best wishes.
Guilford and Madison are both water-oriented communities and "seasonal rentals" ..close to or on the water, or within walking distance to either town center..command excellent rental prices. If you need some help, please call or email me. I am very familiar with the area, and I would also recommend considering Branford. You could check Metro North schedules and prices from NYC to New Haven and Shoreline East schedules and prices from New Haven to any of the Connecticut shoreline towns online on the appropriate websites. At best it is a 1-3/4 hour train ride between Grand Central and New Haven, and many people do make this commute.

Phyllis Beno, Realtor
(203) 668-0040
William Raveis Real Estate
21 Whitfield Street (on the Guilford Green)
Guilford, CT 06437
Hi, many people commute into Manhattan by train, the Shoreline East goes into New Haven from all the Shoreline towns and then when you arrive in New Haven you transfer to Metro North, which is usually there when you arrive or you wait no more than 10 minutes. There is definitely a demand for rentals in Guilford and Madison. I have been selling real estate in this area for 23 years.
Susan Jacobson
William Raveis Real Estate
21 Whitfield St. Guilford,Ct. 06437
CRS,GRI,SRES Charman's Circle Elite
Good Evening,

There are trains available from Saybrook, Westbrook, Clinton, Madison, etc.. that connect in New Haven to Metro North and many folks do commute to the city from these areas on a daily basis. As for rentals, it may take you longer to find a suitable fit than to find a home to purchase but it is an option! The best bet is to consider listing your homes & set-up a search in the area for a rental property that meets your parameters.

Web Reference: http://www.rivertoshore.com
Hi there,

There are a lot of people that commute from the Shoreline (Guilford/Madison/Branford) into NYC.
Metro North does end in New Haven, but there are direct connections to the Shoreline East system which runs from New Haven to Old Saybrook. Taking the train is a definite option and is very simple. Parking is free at the Shoreline stations and they line up the trains to coincide with the MN ones going in each direction- from Guilford to New Haven it's 3.50/OW but you can get a monthly pass as well.

Here is the link to Shoreline East: http://www.shorelineeast.com/index.php I've used it many times and it's super easy!

I also drive in often, it's 90 minutes door-to-door from downtown Guilford to Midtown (in normal traffic of course :)

There is definately a rental market in Guilford and Madison, there aren't many apartments available- I wouldn't anticipate any problem at all finding a tenant. You would just want to find out if the home has a legal apartment or if you would need to get approval. I have experience in that area and can help you figure out how to go about it if needed.

I'm happy to help you with your search on the Shoreline, my email is kimberly.bailey-madelung@raveis.com.