Home Buying in Harlem>Question Details

Keith,  in Berkeley, CA

I've heard that Harlem has been a hot neighborhood in which to buy in recent years - is it still a good value?

Asked by Keith, Berkeley, CA Mon Apr 30, 2007

Answers

8
Harlem still has great prices per square feet if you compare it to other areas in NYC. What you won't find in Harlem is a fireside sale, or anyone giving properties at rock bottom prices. Harlem is full of culture, history and it's a melting pot as the others commented on it. What you will also find in Harlem is an excellent appreciation of the property because it's priced somewhat low compared to the rest of the city so in five or six years it'll most likely appreciate quicker or you would hope it does because it's not certain but more likely that it will.
Good luck, feel free to contact me for all your real estate needs.
a bunch of nonsense here.gentrification is very aggressive here.you will be hated as white newcomer and feel it.
NYC has recently rezoned 125th street with the intention of making it a shopping, dining and entertainment destination. At the beginning of the "Harlem renaissance" a lot of good small businesses opened up: cafes, shops, restaurants, art galleries, etc. Now is is attracting more chain stores such as the body shop, Mac Store, H&M, and even an Applebees!

The rezoning is fairly recent, but within a few years it will be an even hotter neighborhood.
Some information about the rezoning can be found here:
http://web.me.com/pzinnyc/Prewar_Condo/Neighborhood.html

I moved to Harlem 9 years ago, what attracted me was the architecture (you will not find the density of preserved turn-of-the-century townhouses anywhere else in New York), and the access to so many subway lines (and express stops). At the time I could not imagine why Harlem wasn't one of the hottest neighborhoods in Manhattan because of this. I guess I was right and it's only getting hotter.
Harlem has great value and is only going to increase in the future as new buildings and other renovations are completed. In Harlem you can definitely get more bang for your buck. I would gladly like to help you with any more information or assist you more further in the process.

Andre Sweet
andre@metropolitanpropertygroup.com
Keith,
I have been in real Estate for 25 years now. I sold most of my investments and started investing in Harlem 11 years ago. I am now raising my family here and wouldn’t live anywhere else at the moment. The prices are better than ever and the infrastructure is in place. The housing stock consist of 1890's brownstones. I walk to Central Park. I could go on forever.
It’s a great investment right now!
Yes Keith Harlem is certainly "still" up and coming and will be for a few more years. There's a lot of new development that has been finished and more on the way (it might slow down due to the economic conditions, but it wont' stop). There's also a resurgence of brownstones that have been purchased and renovated which leads to hip and new retail stores popping up. The spirit of Harlem is alive and well, free to contact me if there's anything I can assist with. Keep the faith!!!!!
It most certainly is one of Manhattan's hottest neighborhoods! There is an overwhelming amount of charm and grace to be found in the brownstones and townhomes of the neighborhood that has contrasted in such lovely ways to the new construction projects that are going on all around. Prices are lower than the much celebrated upper and east sides, but you can definitely find more accomodating space when it comes to the size of your new home.
According to Trulia's Manhattan Heat Map, Harlem prices are some of the lowest in the city. And, if you click on the popularity link, it's the 7th most popular neighborhood for searchers on Trulia.