Home Buying in Flagstaff>Question Details

Laineyisat, Real Estate Pro in Flagstaff, AZ

I've been told that the East Flagstaff area gets less snow.... while the Munds Park area gets hammered with snow...

Asked by Laineyisat, Flagstaff, AZ Mon Jul 16, 2012

is there anyway to verify the differences in the micro weather patterns??? I'd prefer to live in the "less snow" area!!!!
THANKS.

Answers

3
munds park area is a bit higher in elevation than flagstaff and also has a higher water table, which also contributes. I live in east flagstaff and we get a little less snow, it melts faster, than Munds park
There is a "banana belt" (loose term) located at the base of Mt Elden....lower elevations, rich top soil that has run off from the mountain, plus the warmth of the sun shining on the south side of Mt Elden. Some years the fruit trees bear fruit when you can't find any in other parts of Flagstaff! Bumper crops of beautiful Nectarines, Peaches, Plums, Pears, Cherries, Apricots, and of course lots of different varieties of Apples!
But the banana belt gets a lot of snow. ;)
Flag Mon Jul 16, 2012
If you mean east rural Flagstaff, yes, it tends to get less snow, but it can be "hammered" with an occasional storm that gives the west side just a light dusting. Even in the east rural area, there are micro weather patterns caused by relative position to the mountains and Schulz Pass. Munds Park is 25 miles south of Flagstaff and does tend to get a lot of snow. Again, it's relative to the Mogollan Rim. You can check with the National Weather Service, Bellemont Station, for more information.
Thank you!
Flag Mon Jul 16, 2012