Home Buying in Philadelphia>Question Details

Honey Butter…, Home Buyer in Philadelphia, PA

I've been pre-approved for an FHA loan but I'm having a hard time finding a home that my realtor is willing to show. Should I get a new?

Asked by Honey Butterfield, Philadelphia, PA Sun Mar 14, 2010

realtor? I'm looking for a house in either Overbrook (past 63rd street) or in Wynnefield (past Lancaster ave). I'm open to other parts of the westside of Philadelphia, but so long as the home meets my requirements.

I'm very disappointed in my realtor because he dropped the ball on two houses I would have loved to make an offer on. One was sold within 2 weeks of posting and the other was a short sale that is currently under contract.

What I'm looking for is a home with some room to garden in the front and on nice block but with my budget I need a home under $90,000. I think my best bet is a foreclosure, an estate sale or a short sale. I need a realtor who can help me look for what I want. In addition, I'm trying to find a house soon enough for me to qualify for the $8000 tax credit.

Answers

7
Talk to your agent and explain your needs . Good communication is important. If you have a buyer agent contract and you are not satisfied ask the agent if you can be released from the contract and then look for another agent. Did the agent show you the home you wanted to make an offer on and did you wait before calling to make an offer till it was too late ? Homes priced well are selling. Because of deadline for the tax credit buyers are making offer on houses quickly.Short sales take time for approval and foreclosures may need a lot of work . There are FHA 203k programs for homes that need work. Good luck.
Web Reference: http://www.gitabantwal.com
First of all, what do you mean by "willing to show"? Has he refused to show you houses? How much are you preapproved for and are you realistic with your expectations of homes at the price range you are looking for? Have you shared your concerns with your realtor? Ask your realtor to show you what has sold in the area you are looing so that you can see what the houses are going for and how long they are taking to sell.Are you under contract with a realtor as a buyer's agent? Your best bet is to find an agent you are comfortable with, and then ask if you can sign a short term buyer's contract with him. You will get the most commitment from your realtor if you have a contract with him. Is he full time? Are you available to look at homes when he is. I hate to answer you questions with questions
Hi Honey,

You should be able to find a property that is within the $90,000 price point in Overbrook. Be careful with getting tied into a Short Sale type of sale because it can sometimes take more time than anyone expects and that may hinder you ability to collect your portion of the $8,000 tax credit, most definitely, if the settlement does not occur by the end of June this year. Sometimes the bank will counter your offer and ask for a price higher than you are willing to pay. If at all possible you may want to stay clear of short sales unless you are ok with potentially missing out on the tax credit. Short Sales are worth is if the deal is just so fabulous it is worth missing on the tax credit.

Foreclosures and REO listings that are bank owned may need a lot of work. Not all of them but many will not qualify for FHA and it is super important that you know that as you read the listing descriptions. If it says TLC needed or "as-is", that may become a problem id FHA calls for repairs as a requirement for the loan to go through.

If your Realtor is not showing you properties because they are risky for you, then your Realtor may be saving you from a buyer disaster. So do you have a Realtor that is dropping the ball or helping you is my first question. Were these properties that you were not shown the kind of homes that would have had no problem meeting the FHA guidelines? -or- Were they homes that could have put your tax credit eligibility at risk or the Short Sale that may take 8 months to get to a settlement table?

If you r agent was just a dead beat then say good bye! But if your agent was really looking out for you, then you have a winner. You may want to have a heart to heart with them to make sure you are both on the same page.

Good luck and I hope it all works out for you either way.
Hi Honey,

First thing is you have to speak to your Realtor and address your concerns with him. A buyer and agent relationship, is just like any other relationship. You need to communicate with him and let him know that you do not like his service. Most likely his is not oblivious to this and if he is unwilling to give you the service that you deserve then let him know that you would like to end your contract.

If you do decide to end the relationship, make sure to interview other Realtors. Do not just sign a contract for the sake of signing. Make sure that the agent is familiar with the area that you wish to purchase, is available the times that you want to preview homes and will educate you on what to expect when you do find a home.
If possible, get a referral from a friend or family member.

Good luck in making your decision and finding your perfect home.

Samantha Weekes, Realtor
Exit Realty "The Tri-State Group"
215-687-2629
Hello Honey B...
I agree with the other agents...it's time for you to get a new Realtor that will listen to your needs. One suggestion is that you should ask for a Realtor recommendation from a friend or two.

I do have a way in which you can get information about the homes you are interested in sent to your cell phone. You can then call that listing realtor and ask for an appointment to see the home. Maybe this will speed things up a bit for you. You have to have a signed agreement by the 30th of April and close on the home before the 30th of June to qualify for the tax credit. Let me know if you would be interested in something like that.

Good Luck to you!
De'Janiera

De'Janiera B. Little
Keller Williams Main Line Realty
720 W Lancaster Avenue
Bryn Mawr, PA 19010
610-520-0100 - office
215-881-5990 - mobile
dejaniera@kw.com
http://soultosold.yourkwagent.com
Hi Honey B,

Time to get a new agent. FHA buyers are tricky......in my area we have lots of buyers and many sellers want to work with buyers with large down payments, but they can be done. You need an agent who really cares about you and is willing to put in the time and effort to get your offer accepted.

I would look through some of the blogs here in Trulia and other sites...see what agents in your area talk about FHA buyers, they should have more experience and can help you. You are running out of time to get into escrow to use the tax credit....so don't waste anymore time.

Good luck....

Karen
Time to find a new realtor who will listen to your needs. There are lots of good ones out there! If they want to take time to interview you first before you go looking that is a good sign.