Home Buying in Leesville>Question Details

Breve, Home Buyer in Leesville, LA

I've been living here and renting for about a year. I don't know how long i will stay but i was considering buying a home instead of

Asked by Breve, Leesville, LA Thu Jun 16, 2011

renting ??? Buy or Rent?

Answers

6
BEWARE of buying a house in Leesville. All the houses are overpriced. Investors and real estate people take advantage of Military here. I am active duty army and I have been stationed in many places and I do have lots of experience in houses, new building and remodeling properly by construction codes.
I have been here for over two years, when first moved in I looked for USED houses. What a disaster. All the used houses have had work done (additions) to it improperly in violation to building codes. When a homeowner does a remodeling here they get a handy man to do staff they are not license to do. Example: Electrical work was all wrong, AC conduits were installed improperly form the outside AC unit to a outside hole to the second floor, Every house I did looked I came up with a list of about 30 building violations by the building code. Pluming a disaster (Missing P-traps on bath rooms) etc. big tress growing next to the house foundation (soon to crack house and brake building sewer), roofs w lots of problems.
You will find some very friendly realtors in this area, some even will tell you they are “CRISTIANS and We do support the military” (those are the ones you need to be very cautions, because they are used to illegal games) but the problem is that used house is nothing but junk houses in this area. Also lots of realtors will play trick (illegal games) to you such as:
Home Appraisal: every house need one before back approves loan. Well, They will get their buddy to do it and comparisons they look are the high houses for sale only. Then They will tell you that the house you want to buy already has an equity of 30,000 to 50,000 dollars, so if you buy the house by the time you PCS you can sale it and move on with cash on your packets. A lot of my army friends had fallen in this traps. By the time PCS come they put it for sale and no one will pay the amount they were told. I have seen NCO and even officers sell their home less the amount they paid. Also these area is well known for soldiers losing their homes and guess who buys the foreclosures here; the same realtors/ investors who sold you the house and they will sell it to another soldiers and you are back in the cycle.
Also another game they play is let see you like a used housed and you put an offer, and they take it. Then you have second thoughts because that was the 1st house you saw. Well you want to walk the house again & you feel kind of surprised they took your offer (you offer to high….). When you go to the house the realtor’s dad is going to open the door. The firs thing he tells you is that he told his daughter that if a house like this came up at that price range that he wanted to buy it. He will ask you how much you offer and then he would say “WHAT that is cheap” he want it for him. He calls his daughter on the cell in front of you and tells her that he wants the house, how come he did not know about it. And of course the realtor will tell dad she already sold it to you. You get excited and now you want it even more.
Cont..
BUYING IS DEFINITELY LESS EXPENSIVE., IF YOU DON'T BUY TOO HIGH!
CALL ME TO BE QUALIFIED TO SEE YOUR PRICE RANGE. 375-3175
THANK YOU, DONNA
It is definitely a personal choice that requires some serious thought. In our area renting is very popular, because people don't know how long they are going to be here, and most just prefer to rent. Therefore the demand is higher, and so the price is going to be higher. In many cases you can actually purchase a home for less than you would normally pay in rent. There are a lot of great properties in Leesville, Rosepine, and DeRidder. I would love to help if you need any assistance. Give me a call at 337-202-9203.
To buy or rent is all about costs and lifestyle. Costs-- financing v. moving-in, mortgage v. rent, repairs v. upkeep; lifestyle--stability v. mobility, predictability v. flexibility, equity v. freedom from debt. It used to be all about equity. Now, there are other variables to consider in the balancing of the buy/rent equation. You decide what's best for you.
Hi Breve,
Rent. Wait another year to buy, prices are declining. Good Luck
Rents in our area are high because of the high demand. However, houses are still selling at very reasonable prices. Usually, you can buy a house and your mortgage won't be any more than the rent would be. Please give me a call, I would love to help you find a home.
Debbie Farr
ReMax Excel
337-348-9660
Web Reference: http://www.debbiefarr.me