George, Other/Just Looking in Fremont, CA

I understand that the base property tax rate is $1.25 per thousand dollars of purchase price ...

Asked by George, Fremont, CA Sat Apr 18, 2009

however, I believe there are additional mello roos type property taxes for homes in Windemere and Gale Ranch.

(1) How do I find out what the property taxes are for any of the specific developments in Windemere and Gale Ranch?
(2) Are the additional taxes lower for the earlier developments?
(3) Are there special builder assessments hidden in the CC&Rs that are, in effect, point-of-sale assessments?

Answers

4
George,
There are differing tax rates for those areas depending on where you live. The earlier developments of Windemere have the lowest tax rates around 1.4% whereas the newer areas go up to 1.7%. You would have to look at a specific house to see where it falls.

The taxes go to pay for the obvious infrastructure needed in communities like these (schools, parks, and other amenities). I personally live in Windemere and love that it is so great for families. The taxes are a big hit, but you can't beat the convenience of so many of the amenities. Feel free to sign up for free property updates at http://jscarealty.com/mls-search-c10346.html. I would be happy to talk to you further about the area just let me know how I can help.
Erica

Erica Jones Starkey
Broker, Co-Founder
JSCA Real Estate Group
Providing Superior Solutions for Your Individual Real Estate Needs
http://www.JSCArealty.com
office: 925.989.1613
fax: 925.905.2417
Web Reference: http://www.jscarealty.com
George,

Keep in mind the Mello Roos tax is a fixed amount for each house(regardless of the house price). While the original cap was 1.7%, the actual tax rate for some houses in Windemere are >2.0% using the current market price. Best is to look up county tax record to see current year tax bill for each house.
Hi George....

Form the financial aspect I agree with Erica. Your best bet is to analyze each property individually in Windemere and Gale Ranch. As a lender our general rule of thumb is 1.25% but in those areas are higher. I you have any questions our could use an objective opinion on your home loan I would be happy to help.

Hi George. Unfortunately there is no single document or website that lists out which area's have what tax rates. I've looked. For most area's in Windemere the tax rate is 1.7%. And it is true that some of the earlier developments are cheaper, approximately 1.43%, but the vast majority are 1.7%. I do know that many of the homes near the intersection of Windemere parkway and Harcourt are 1.43%. But you will always want to check each property individually to make sure.

Gale Ranch has the normal tax rate of 1.25 but makes up for it with monthly HOA fees (which are not tax deductible where property tax is deductable.)

Let me know if you have any other questions for would like a list or foreclosures in the area.

Yours Truly.

Scott Summers - Broker/ Realtor
925.236.2375