Home Buying in Raleigh>Question Details

Stob, Home Buyer in Geneva, IL

I thought the RTP area was supposed to have excellent schools? From what year(s) are the school ratings based on?

Asked by Stob, Geneva, IL Fri Mar 30, 2012

I'm finding 7's in both Wake & Orange County schools.

Answers

3
RTP is actually located in Durham County. Wake and Orange County Schools are near RTP but not located in RTP.

I have lived in Chapel Hill and in the Cary area. I will have to disagree with Vivian regarding overcrowding in the Cary schools. Basically Wake County Schools have migrated to a neighborhood school approach in 2012 to eliminate any bussing isses.

In the Cary, Apex, Holly Springs area in the past decade the following new schools were opened:
•4 New High Schools in the area include Green Hope High, Holly Springs High, Middle Creek, and Panther Creek High
•22 new schools opened in Cary, Apex, Morrisville, Fuquay-Varina and Holly Springs

I hope this helps.
RTP is in both Durham and Wake counties, both with different school systems. I'm going to say something that is not politically kosher: a lot depends on socio-economic status of the families and how much parents are involved in the schools. Cary (also in RTP) schools are supposed to be quite good but there are now changes because they were over crowded, so many people are waiting to see what happens with the busing.

Chapel Hill Carrboro Schools are good. It is a school system within Orange County but not part of the Orange county schools.

My kids went to school in Chapel Hill until high school when they both went to different systems. One went to Carolina Friends, the other to American Hebrew Academy which is more of a prep school. We had to figure out what was best for each.

If you get into the magnet schools in Durham and Raleigh, they are supposed to be very good

Good luck with your research. It isn't easy..
Check put Johnston scores. Youight like what you see.