Home Buying in 27519>Question Details

Gramps, Home Seller in Wisconsin

I signed a "counter" as the seller that my Broker prepared wrong and acknowledged that which the buyer Broker say's obligates me to

Asked by Gramps, Wisconsin Tue Oct 11, 2011

the original offer That is everything in a nut shell???

Help the community by answering this question:


It really sounds like it's time to get another opinion. Typically there are various ways to resolve "errors" or to at least minimize their effect the earlier you catch them. Ask your Broker how the mistake happened and what they intend to do to resolve it. If you don't get a satisfactory answer, take your entire contract to an attorney for review and get their opinion. These steps should happen immediately. In Real Estate, Time is of the Essence!
Without reviewing everything in detail, no one can properly advise you and you should be wary of quick and easy advice. We all make mistakes, what proves our character is how we resolve them. I hope it all comes out okay for you.
2 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 11, 2011
Double TU to Dan Tabit.

A contract isn't supposed to be a "gotcha" document, it's supposed to be a document that represents the agreement between two (or more) parties. If the document doesn't represent your agreement, tell everybody right away that there's an error and you would like it corrected ASAP.

If anybody balks, or outright refuses, then it's attorney time.

All the best,
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 12, 2011
Wisconsin RE rules and regs for an agent may be totally different than those in North Carolina.

Your broker prepared the counter offer and I will assume you read the counter document and signed it which indicates you agree with what is in the document. Your agent is "representing" you as a seller's agent in a real estate transaction You and your agent are equally accountable for the error. The buyers agent will refer to the written and signed document as credible proof of a legitimate counter offer. Please discuss with your attorney in Wisconsin---you will need to know if you have any recourse or not. Thanks and good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 13, 2011
If your broker acknowledged that the counter was incorrect, I would suggest you talk first to the brokers , 'broker in charge' and at the same time also speak with an attorney. You can also call the real estate commission in whatever state you are in and speak to their attorneys. Best of luck to you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 12, 2011
Count me among the confused. Your profile says you are a Home Seller in Wisconsin. Your question is posted in "Home Buying in 27519" which is a Cary zip code. Also, it appears that you are saying your Listing Agent made changes to an Offer presented by the Buyer, and that you signed that changed offer. Has the Buyer signed that yet or not?

You may very well eventually need an attorney. I'd suggest starting - quickly - with your Agent's Broker-in-Charge ... assuming there is such a person at their Brokerage Firm. Still, if you are in NC, it will be very difficult for any of us NC Realtors to provide you advice given your pre-existing relationship with another Broker.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 11, 2011
In order to best protect yourself, consider consulting with an attorney sooner rather than later....
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 11, 2011
That is very unclear. Do you have an attorney?

If the COUNTER was not signed by both you and the buyer ... why are you obligated?

Call an attorney now.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 11, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer