Blazergirl, Home Buyer in 31643

I signed a contract on a new house under construction, but almost completed.

Asked by Blazergirl, 31643 Sat Feb 20, 2010

I asked to builder to make some color changes in the paint and tiling in the kitchen, and he gave me a bid of $1900 to do the work. I accepted and added that amount to the price of the house. Some 10 days later, I discovered a rush painting job, broken tiles, tiles place where they were not suppose to be, and unleveled cabinets in the kitchen. On top of that I also discovered a crack in the foundation. I terminated the contract and told them to keep the earnest money. Now the owner/builder is suing me for the amount he paid in making the changes I wanted(over $3500) plus an additional $1900 to change it back to the original colors. The builder gave me a bid of $1900 to do the work, but now he wants $5400. What should I do?

Answers

3
I really hate that this happened in our area! I'm so sorry for all of the grief that you are having to go through. You should definitely talk with an attorney about these problems. If you need a recommendation on a real estate attorney, let me know! I'll be more than happy to give you the names of some good ones in Valdosta. If you're still looking to buy a home, I can help with that as well, and provide you with representation!!

Good Luck!!
Yes. What a shame. This builder, and if you had an agent, your agent, really blew it.

Otherwise, it's a shame because you and the builder mismanaged expectations.
You should speak with an attorney. We are not qualified to provide you with legal advice.