Lunaskedah, Home Buyer in Highlands Ranch, CO

I see that many homes in Highlands Ranch has structured wood for the basement, anyone of you experienced any problems with the structured wood?

Asked by Lunaskedah, Highlands Ranch, CO Sun Jul 29, 2012

Answers

4
Bob Costello’s answer
I saw a foreclosure property with a wood flooring in the basement. Something looked odd so I pulled up one of the bad boards and found a lake. They had a leak somewhere and it was all collecting down there...... I stuck my camera in the hole and, yes, it was totally flooded.
- we passed on that 'great deal'.......
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 15, 2012
The structured wood floor was used by home builders when the soil test of the lot rated high with bentonite.(movement of clay when wet). The structure wood can have problems when there is to much weigh of the floor (ie pool table), water in contact with floors over a period of time. Mold can exists if there is a source of water on top or below the wood floor. If buying a home with a structural wood, insect the crawl space - make sure the soil is covered with plastic.
It is a system with engineering designed specifically for the home. Like all systems (heating, cooling, roof, sewer lines, foundation and so on) there are always things to watch for and to always inspect by a well qualified inspector or engineer. .

Sometimes the wood floor vs concrete can sound hollow. It is also important that it stays dry as well as other things. Talk with an inspector.

Good luck with your home and let me know if I can help.

Frank Nuebel
http://www.searchforhomesincolorado.com/highlands-ranch-co-r…
Any home should be inspected by a licensed home inspector. Any home could have some issues that you need to know about before you close. Let me know if I can help.

Matt Mansfield
Equity Colorado
http://www.mansfielddenver.com