Home Buying in San Bruno>Question Details

RSW, Other/Just Looking in Belmont, CA

I see high turnover for the shelter creek condos - should i be suspicious? is 1972 considered old?

Asked by RSW, Belmont, CA Mon Apr 20, 2009

First - I get this explanation -- the shelter creek condos were the ones that, if you got one over the last 4 years, you could get it with little to no income (i guess). So the super (they are relatively cheap compared to everything else) "weak hands" are folding now.

Or, is there some unmentioned problem with the buildings there?

Answers

9
Hi there. Just came across this site, so here goes an answer, even if it may no longer be useful. I have lived in Shelter Creek rentals on and off since 1990 (close to work). The complex used to be nicely maintained, but has unfortunately degenerated lately. Walls are really thin, so you do hear your neighbors if they happen to be noisy. When people want to upgrade to a house, they are not allowed to rent out the condo, but are forced to sell because of HOA's that limit renters to 30% of units. Happened to a few friends who lived here, so they ended up selling. Another problem that agents probably won't tell you about is that the first floor of Bldg. 5 was flooded in Winter 2002; some condos had over 3 feet of water because of badly maintained drainage pipes, and owners lost everything. We got 2 inches and moved out as soon as we could for fear of mold (nothing was done to test our condo). Do be careful if looking in Bldg. 5. However, the condos are currently going for a great price, down from a high in Fall 2005 (example: friend sold her 2-BR condo for $475K in Nov. 2005; similar ones now sell for around $300K). Good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 25, 2009
Actually, people should be paid for living here. Shelter Creek condo is a total nightmare.
Hallways are full of tobacco and pot smoke. The smoke will be drifting to your condo. HOA is absolutely insane. You will get fined for everything, even for totally false accusations. You simply don't have any rights in fighting with HOA. Buildings are poorly constructed, you hear every sound of your neighbors. Cannot have washing machine ($500 fine), cannot have pets, must have carper in the bathroom and in the kitchen. HOA make rules on fly. Owners usually do not participate in board meetings or elections, so the board can do anything and they actually do what they want. The friends of the board are exempt from the rules, have dogs, for example. The windows have large gaps, it is often windy inside. They have only electrical heating, so you heating bill in January can go above $200. Families with children are heavily discriminated. No playground. Security does not let children play in the clubhouse. You see the marked price, compared to other places, you see the high turnover. There is always a reason for that.
I don't know that Shelter Creek would be affected more than any other. I think Shelter Creek is a reasonably priced and decent place to live! I think the 1200 residents would probably move if they thought it was bad.

The values go up and down with the rest of 'em! Shelter Creek is awesome in my opinion! Maybe you should attend one of their homeowner meetings? That might help you learn more about the place, hands on! :-)
Sometime in July I stopped by to walk around the area and I could see how it might have seemed like a "country club" in the past, but not at the time. It's not a totally dump but I wouldn't consider it country club quality. I don't have exact numbers but it seems like the # on Trulia currently is a lot more than it was before.

I figure if you have people like Greenspan forecasting 10% unemployment then there should be a continued shakedown -- and this would effect a place like Shelter Creek more than other complexes?
You must live on a really bad floor! Maybe you should call the police on the pot smokers, of course, unless you are one of them. I wonder why someone would continue to live there f it was so yucky? Hmmm...makes me wonder.
When I was looking for my first piece of property to buy in 1999 I checked Peninsula Place, Crown Colony, and Shelter Creek because they were all equally the least expensive. I chose Shelter Creek because of the larger square footage, awesome landscape, and involved HOA. I attended meetings and all sorts of social gatherings put on by the HOA and thought they did all did a really good job keeping the complex informed of everything going on. I felt safe walking to and from my car at night and that was really important to me.

Since then, as an agent, I have helped numerous people buy and sell condos there. I haven't heard of anyone having a bad experience yet! It's a large complex, 1200 units so there's always going to be some noise from some neighbor whether its cooking, loud discusions, laughter, music, etc. For the most part though, people respect their neighbors because most everybody wants some peace and quiet!
Richard,
Congrtulations for looking. I lived in Shelter Creek when i first moved out from the East Coast. I had a wonderful time. I selcected SC over many of the other complexes due to the grounds. You go outside in you think you are in a country club. They continue to maintain them well. A few years ago their association was one of the best funded on the peninsula. Not sure where they stand now. No issues with the complex. The prices are below what your rent paymetns are. Can't be beat for the money.
Web Reference: http://www.leesellsmore.com
Hello Richard,

In addition to the points made by David, there is the issue of owner occupancy. Shelter Creek requires, with few exceptions, that the unit be owner occupied. This means that once a person "outgrows" their place, for whatever reason, they need to sell. There are other complexes, such as Peninsula Place, located close to Shelter Creek, that do not have that requirement and give an owner more flexibility in regards to their unit.

Hope this helps!

Julie Cleland / Realtor (R)
Prudential CA Realty
650-871-3693
Web Reference: http://www.JulieCleland.com
Hi Richard, you are correct. For years, a lot of buyer chose S.C. because they could get in with little or no down payment. They were also great buys for first time home owners and some elderly.

Over the years there have been assessments to improve the building, but there are no "problems" that I know of.

You will always have a pretty large turnover whether the market is doing well or not because there are so many units there.

Ask yourself this question, what esle can you buy for the same amount of money? Although it get's a bit cold, it's very nice with multiple pools, tennis, and rec room.

If I was buying one, I would prefer to get in buildings 4 and up to stay away from the noise from 280.

Dave Tapper
Cashin Company
http://www.DavidTapper.com
650-403-6252
Web Reference: http://www.TeamTapper.com