Home Buying in Pittsburg>Question Details

Bunnyin, Home Buyer in Oakland, CA

I saw a potiential house up in the hill with nice view, but the house is very near the high voltage power line

Asked by Bunnyin, Oakland, CA Mon Dec 8, 2008

Can anyone /realtors give me some feedback and opinions on houses near high voltage power line (tower). the house value, health hazard, fire hazard , etc. I found a nice house up in the hill with nice delta view, airy and bright. but it is very near the power line towner ( I think it is .20 miles). My realtor said, "it is not a good idea..too"

Answers

5
Jerry Flynn’s answer
Bunnyin,

I think most people do shy away from the High Voltage Line, but it's a personal preference. The value of the home would be a little less than homes not close to High Voltage Lines. Ask the neighbors what they think about living there. You can probably get a better deal on this house, if you really like it.

As far as being a health risk maybe you should read this article and make you own opinion. http://www.midtod.com/9603/voltage.phtml

Have a nice day Bunnyin, and Good Luck.

Jerry Flynn
Old West Realty Inc.
Danville, Ca.
925-820-6550
oldwestinc@yahoo.com
http://housebiz.ca
Do some research online. I am sure people would not be living near them if they thought it was a detriment to their health and their family's health. As far as the view, you could put some foilage or a fence to hamper the view. If the home is what you want, do the research and meet the neighbors to see what they have to say.
Well one thing is for sure, it does hurt the house value. I can’t give you an exact number but I would say maybe 5%. There are devices you can buy that does test how much strong the electrical current is at any given spot. This issue is highly controversial though. I don’t think there is a definite opinion as to whether it is bad for you. Personally I would ask, why take the risk? Buy a house away from the lines and have better resale value and peace of mind that it’s not a factor.
From what I have read/heard, there is no evidence that being near to a power line is a problem. Certainly I have never heard about any increased likelihood of fire.

However...

1. It is unarguably not something that will add to the visual appeal of living there. 0.2 miles to the tower is pretty close, and

2. Many people believe that it is a danger to health. This means that the value of the home will be less than an equivalent home without the proximity of power lines.

Obviously people do buy homes near power lines. I doubt that I am ever likely to do so.

Bernard Gibbons

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Bernard Gibbons, Realtor, e-PRO Certified Internet Specialist
J. Rockcliff Realtors, 15 Railroad Avenue, Danville, CA 94526
Phone (925) 997-1585
bernard@bernardgibbons.com
Does it have a loud humming noise?

All joking aside, it's a concern for alot of people. I don't have any studies or research about living near power lines, but it definately puts a damper on resale ability.
Web Reference: http://crosswalkre.com