Lindz634, Home Buyer in 01030

I saw a house at an open house and I don't have a realtor. I just put in an offer via attorney and the seller's realtor doesn't

Asked by Lindz634, 01030 Fri Jan 20, 2012

understand I saw a house at an open house and I don't have a realtor. I just put in an offer via attorney and the seller's realtor doesn't understand the process. Apparently she says she doesn't think it's possible to buy a house without a realtor. I don't want to go hire a realtor just to put an offer on a house I found on my own, but the seller's realtor is saying that her client won't accept our offer if we don't have a realtor. Is there anything I can do?

Answers

9
So, here is the question you should ask the seller's agent. If you find a Realtor to represent you, will the seller's realtor be offering to split his/her commission with your agent? Or are they now expecting *you* to cover a buyer's agent commission above and beyond your offer? Do you have that in writing?

If you don't want to discuss these details "in public", I'd be happy to chat with you (617) 308-6583 (hypothetically, of course. I recommend that you do NOT share the details of your transaction with anyone that you haven't actually hired).

I've never heard of a seller refusing an offer as a result of a buyer simply not having a real estate agent .
Ask your attorney who is a broker.
Get real estate broker to help you or an attorney. It is the biggest purchase of a lifetime.
Flag Sat Oct 20, 2012
Always hire a buyer agent to represent you. The Good news is that it does not cost you anything. The cape cod market is booming! Take advangate of the interest rates & prices! Now is the time to buy!! Call us and we guide you through the process!!
Flag Wed Oct 17, 2012
My agent told me to call if I found a house I was interested in.
Flag Sun Oct 14, 2012
I used a buyer's agent and it didn't cost us anything. Plus they informed us every step of the way. It can be a very complicated process. You want to use a real estate team who represent you unconditionally. We choose Team Stevens & Manley. There team and staff were terrific.
Flag Fri Oct 12, 2012
Your attorney is most likely a licensed realtor as well
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 20, 2012
Unbelievable - have the Attorney that submitted the Offer contact the Listing Agent and get a copy of the document that states the Seller will only consider an Offer from someone who is represented by a REALTOR®.

REALTOR® is a brand, you pay dues to use the "REALTOR®" logo.

Licensed Real Estate Agents do not have to be REALTORS®.

You cannot be a REALTOR® unless you're a licensed Real Estate Agent.

j
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 20, 2012
While you should always be represented when looking and buying real estate, you don't necessarily need a real estate agent to represent you. In most if not all cases, a buyer's agent will not cost you anything - even if you found a house on your own. Thus, it doesn't hurt to use a buyer's agent to help you find the home of your dreams. He or she will help you negotiate the purchase price and terms, and will guide you through the purchase process.

In any case, you do have an attorney representing your interests in this case. You didn't mention it, but I trust he is a real estate attorney. If he is expecting his share of the commission from the proceeds of the sale, I trust also that he is properly licensed by the state.

As for the seller not accepting your offer unless you are represented by a real estate agent, you may wish to bring the matter to the attention of your attorney. He should advise you what your rights are and should be able to guide you through the process.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 20, 2012
Hi Lindz,

just as an fyi, hiring a realtor to represent you does not cost you anything. Having said that, you can buy a house without one but since they do not cost you anything why not have one represent you and your best interest in the negotiation and transaction of the purchase.
Web Reference: http://www.WENREALTY.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 20, 2012
There is so much we do not know.
Many agents do not want to be placed in a position that conflicts with their duty to their client. Therefore, they may wish you have your own representation.
Some agents what to use forms with which they are familiar and are used commonly among the professionals in your area. We don't know how the attorney submitted the offer to purchase. The devil is indeed in the details.

Some banks here in Florida will only accept offers on bank owned real estate that is submitted through real estate professionals. Homeowners may and can choose the same remedy for the reason stated above.

Give Aaron a call and let us all know what the greatest house warming gift ever is.
Web Reference: http://www.MyDunedin.com
Great response! How is the real estate market in Palm Harbor?
Flag Sun Sep 2, 2012
Keep in mind that if you have an agent of own, the services are provided free of charge; the seller pays the commission at closing out of the proceeds of the sale, if two agents are involved the fee is shared; you would only pay if you have an agreement with your agent to pay above what the seller is already offering, then you would only be responsible for the difference. If you still don't wish to work with an agent consider having your attorney contact the listing agent....
I completely agree with Wen! Since it won't cost you to hire a Buyer's Agent it would be a great benefit to you to have someone assist you in the purchase of your new home. Especially since submitting an offer is just one of the earlier steps in the home buying process. But in answer to your question, you should not be REQUIRED to use Realtor.
Amy