Home Buying in Flatlands>Question Details

Kenny, Home Buyer in Brooklyn, NY

I recently went under contract for a single- family home in Brooklyn, NY. The home I am in contract is

Asked by Kenny, Brooklyn, NY Tue Mar 31, 2009

numbered 345A. It sits between houses numbered 345 and 347. The lots for all three houses are the same. Why does the home I am in contract in have an A attached to it?

Answers

5
Mitchell Feldman’s answer
Dear Kenny:

There are several reasons why this could have happened. The most logical reason would be if at one time there could have been one home on all three of those lots and it was developed and subdivided at a later date... they may have had no choice but to add the "A" to give it a legitimate mailing address. If I knew the exact address including the street I may be able to give you a more definitive answer. It may take a little getting used to, but I wouldn't worry about it.

The real legal address of the property is the block and lot number.

Good luck with your purchase!

Mitchell Feldman
Associate Broker
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665
Email: MitchellSFeldman@aol.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 31, 2009
Good morning Kenny,

The addresses you describe are typical for Brooklyn. How New York City arrived at the address designation is as esoteric as Brooklyn properties addressed as 3209 but in Queens a similar address would be 32-09. Go figure.

Bottom line: if you are purchasing this property be sure your attorney and your Mortgage Banker know the exact address of the property. Double-check all documents throughout the transaction; people make typo's and leave off the "A." Especially if you're working with an out of state mortgage lender you must take extreme care of the address designation on your documents.

Trevor Curran
I would think its because at one time they divided the lot.
Odd number residences are on one side of the street, even on the other--therefore a letter is used on one of the numbers if there isn't a consecutive odd/even number to be used between adjacent houses.

it seems like you have had your questions answered i am a local mortgage bank and if you would like to come in and talk about all your options please call 516-233-4842 or email me vaiossa@unitednorthen.com

My address is 3601 hempstead tpk levittown NY 11756
closing on refi 14 days
purchase closings 21days