delalm, Home Buyer in West Babylon, NY

I recently purchased a home in Queens NY and after moving in discovered that the basement becomes flooded after heavy rains.

Asked by delalm, West Babylon, NY Sat Jun 8, 2013

I had the house inspected prior to purchase and no mention was made of water penetration. Can I sue the previous owner

Answers

7
Since you are asking a legal question, it's really in your best interest to consult with your attorney, he/she can better advise...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 8, 2013
threaten the inspector!! tell him you will drag his company's name through years of mud and despair on the internet for not catching a major problem which you paid them good money to detect!!
sounds like a half-a$$ inspector to me! didn't notice water damage/intrusion?????

don't just accept this crap,contact the inspector immediately! what the hell did you pay them for in the first place? at least get your money back or warn him of the wrath of hell which shall begin to rain on him for decades to come!.....have a nice day! :)
Nope. In NY we have a $500 disclosure statement, likely you received that $500's on closing? Sadly the issue now becomes yours. Hopefully it is a simple fix.
Delalm,

If you collected the $500 for disclosures at the time of the closing, you are most likely barking up the wrong tree by looking to sue the owner. If this is a recent closing however, the engineer or inspector who improperly signed off on the water runoff may be a place to look for answers. Although nothing is guaranteed and more facts are necessary to form a proper conclusion, this may give you a little direction to focus your attention. If you have any further questions, please feel free to call. Otherwise, good luck!

John A. Weber IV
Associate Broker
Bayview Estates Realty
(516) 777-0146
If you got your $500 disclosure $ at closing, you are out of luck with this one.
I purchased my home before I became a Realtor and the inspector did not pick up sll the traced of water dsmage.

You sre out of luck, but you can use this experience ss being forwarned to prevent another occurrence.

1. Make sure you add flood coverage to your insurance policy and if you need a good insurance broker, let me know.

2. I was about to spend $20, 000 on French drains and was saved by a neighbor who brought in a truckload of dirt and made sure the highest ground point was touching my exterior walls and water would not accumulate and seep in and

3. He extended my front gutters underground out through the sidewalk to the street and extended all other gutters underground 20 feet from my house.

That was in 1995 and my bas ement has never leaked again...only cost me $2, 000.

I'll be happy to share his information ad well. ..he's a life saver.
Maybe. Did the seller conceal evidence of previous flooding? Talk to an attorney. Good luck!
Web Reference: http://www.bverealty.com