Home Buying in New York>Question Details

Jewel, Home Buyer in Laurelton, NY

I recently purchased a home, about 2 months ago. What steps should I take to address a water bill dating back 2 years for thousands of dollars?

Asked by Jewel, Laurelton, NY Mon Feb 10, 2014

The bill states that the charges are the responsibility of the homeowner, i.e.,me! It also states that "...a title meter reading reconciliation was not requested and paid in connection with the transfer of property ownership." So, does this mean that my lawyer neglected something? And, who should pay this bill?

Help the community by answering this question:


You really should be discussing the issue with your attorney, so consider a call--he/she can better advise....
2 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 11, 2014
Your title insurance should have found this problem. You paid for this and part of it was to find any liens on the property. You should contact the attorney who represented you and or the title company who handled the transaction.
2 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 11, 2014
You certainly need to contact both your Attorney and your Title insurance company. Something seems to have been overlooked and that now leaves you on the hook for it. Also, your Atty should be in contact with the sellers Atty. They knew of this bill as being outstanding. Good luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 11, 2014
Thank you. I appreciate your advice.
Flag Tue Feb 11, 2014
First contact the water company and explain your situation and see if they can help you. If not contact your attorney ASAP.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 11, 2014
Janet M. Nation, Real Estate Pro in Baldwin, NY
That should have presented itself at closing, I recommend you go back to the attorney you hired for the purchase first.
A moment ago - [x] delete
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 11, 2014
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer