Lola, Home Seller in Fort Washington, MD

I recently had an appraisal done and the appraiser called one of my bedrooms a den but it is not it is a 5th bedroom with a closet.

Asked by Lola, Fort Washington, MD Sat Jun 23, 2012

Answers

9
Appraisals are an opinion of value. Opinions can be wrong. It's difficult though to determine a path forward without knowing what the appraisal was for, and whether the difference of calling it a den or a bedroom has any effect.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 23, 2012
Hi Lola,

The difference between a den and a bedroom is not going to change your value substantially if at all. However, a closet isn't the only item that makes a bedroom. The room must also have a window. Appraisers also calculate above grade (ground) and below grade s.f. differently so that might explain the variance on s.f. Wishing you the best of luck.
Thank you for your response I could not explain fully because it only allows 150 characters I was trying to get a reverse mortgage the sq footage was incorrect and the bank says nothing I can do.I paid $425.
Richard Iarossi's answer was spot on! If that's all they did, calling a bedroom a den, then you should be asking the appraiser. How the heck are we supposed to know what the appraiser was thinking?!?
I echo some of my colleagues and would first focus on value. Is the appraisal serving your need - not sure why you had an appraisal. If it's for a refinance, did it give you the value you need for the refinance? If it served the purpose of giving you the value you need for the purpose you got the appraisal, then I would call it a wash. The value difference of a 4 versus 5 bedroom is probably not super significant assuming the square footage was included correctly.

If the value you were looking for was not obtained, then you can look at fighting to get it corrected. But note, correcting the report may still not change the value significantly in your case as it may for a 3 versus 2 bedroom home. Good Luck!
To be counted as a bedroom the room must not only have a closet, but also a window that's large enough for a fireman to go through with all his equipment. Is that the case? If so, you should be able to have the appraisal reviewed. Talk to the lender. You didn't mention the purpose of the appraisal - is it preventing you from doing what you want to do? The square footage is still being counted. In truth, the difference in value between a 4 bedroom house with a den and a 5 bedroom house may not be that significant.

Lisa Miller Scott
Sellstate Dominion Realty
Your loan officer and agent should talk and figure out if anything else is wrong with the appraisal. Is it preventing you from being able to close your purchase or refinance? Remember the loan officer can't talk to the appraiser directly but your agent can. But any formal appeal of the appraisal has to go thru the lender not the agent. It's a pretty awful system but this is the way it's been the last few years. Good luck and I hope you get it all worked out.

Brent Mendelson
1st Mariner Mortgage
nmls#111407
Hi Lola,

I'm not sure what your question is. You might want to contact the Appraiser and have them correct your appraisal.

Shanna Rogers
SR Realty
http://www.RealtyBySR.com
Have your agent contact the Lender who ordered the appraisal OR depending on what the appraisal is for...contact them directly to notify them.