Esd, Home Buyer in New Jersey

I recently found out, 6 year after buying a house, the previous owner installed a septic line bypass with out

Asked by Esd, New Jersey Thu Apr 3, 2008

proper permits. This illegal septic field is now failing. Any recourse? A plumber told me this most likely done in order the previous owners would not need to put in a new system prior to the sale.

Answers

3
Absolutely consult a real estate attorney who can guide you through the proper course of action. Have your inspection reports and Seller Disclosure Statements available for review. The information disclosed by your inspectors and the previous owners will be vitale. I also believe the statute of limitations for litigation in real estate matters is 7 years, so contact an attorney as soon as possible.

Best of luck to you!

Jessica E. Nooney
Weichert Realtors
(609) 654-8633 Ext. 121
(609) 276-8183 (CELL)
(609) 479-5333 (Direct Fax)
jnooney@weichert.com
http://www.yourjerseyrealtor.com

"Helping You Reach Your Real Estate Goals - Buying or Selling"
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 11, 2010
I would recommend that you consult an attorney. If you give them more specifics about your situation they will be able to advise you on what actions would be best. Here is a list of local attorneys that specialize in real estate that our clients have used.

Best wishes,

Matt

Thomas Darcy
(609) 652-1198 (Business)
609-652-2246 (Fax)
118 E Jimmie Leeds Road, Galloway, NJ 08205

Keith Davis, Attorney-At-Law
4030 Ocean Heights Ave, Egg Harbor Township, NJ
609-927-1177

David Frisch, Esq
2106 New Road, #A1, Linwood, NJ 08221
609-926-2255 (Business)
Web Reference: http://HavilandGroup.net
Hello!
Did you receive a signed "Seller's Disclosure" at the time of the sale with the septic system described and the work that had been done to the septic? If they answered untruthfully....?
Did they sign an affidavit at close stating that all work on the premises was done with the proper permits?
If not, it may be a case off "Caveat Emptor" or "Buyer Beware"!
Chip