Home Buying in Winnetka>Question Details

Chad-roscoe, Both Buyer and Seller in Winnetka, CA

I recently bought a house in a foreclosure area. There are lots of good deals left.

Asked by Chad-roscoe, Winnetka, CA Mon Mar 15, 2010

How can I encourage other buyers like myself and my spouse (educated professionals and first time parents) to move the 5 miles out of the "prime" area to my area? We got a house for 1/3 the prime area, with 10,000sq. ft of yard, perfect for other family oriented green-livers like myself. I would like to see the demographics skew a bit more towards college-grads with kids. Now it is a bit retired people and blue-collar.
Is there a way to foster migration of those folks trying to save up for the higher-priced, smaller place market to our roomier area?

Answers

3
Monique & Joe Carrabba’s answer
Hello Chad-Roscoe,

It sounds like you just love your area. My thought is to get involved with your neighborhood (such as a community organization or neighborhood council and also schools). Like a magnet other people will see your efforts and be attracted to the area also.
Monique Carrabba
The Carrabba Group
Keller Williams Hollywood Hills
mcarrabba@kw.com
(323) 899-2900
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 16, 2010
Wait 3 years. By then the bottom should really be in. Prices should not drop further (unless the country itself is in far worse trouble than expected) and people should be primed to buy. I am sure people buying now are looking for the lower priced houses, if they are fiscally prudent.
The best thing you can do to attract like buyers to your area is make the most, visually, of your 10,000 sq. foot patch of heaven. I work in this area, and I understand what you're saying....there are definitely "patches" of heaven and then blocks that could use a little help interspersed. Now that you're a homeowner, become active in your neighborhood - neighborhood watches - zero tolerance policies and activism towards graffiti and crime have been instruments in turning around marginal neighborhoods, and turning them into upwardly mobile hamlets all over the San Fernando Valley.

Bloom excitedly where you're planted...and others will follow. Blogging about your neighborhood is also a good way to attract attention. Try http://www.mystreet.com and other community based sites.

And Welcome to Winnetka!!!