Home Buying in 94536>Question Details

BusyHomeBuyer, Home Buyer in 95035

I read a full home report for the first time and saw the property was in an area that is "near a dam inudation zone" and "liquefaction zone".

Asked by BusyHomeBuyer, 95035 Thu Mar 14, 2013

Since this is the first time I've even thought about these things, how do I go about determining if I'm comfortable with it? What types of things should I consider- taxes and possible risks?

Help the community by answering this question:


Dear Busy,
We can give you advice on home buying,selling and investments but we are not trained or licensed in other fields. As much as we would like to help,Realtors have gotten into trouble this way.
You need to talk to the hazard disclosure company or a professional in Earthquake Engineering or Geology to get a thorough and accurate answer.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 17, 2013
Natural Hazard Disclosure reports, which sellers of 1-4 unit residential properties are required to provide to buyers in California, provide reports on natural hazard zones mandated by the state, county and local jurisdictions. Also mentioned are endangered species, special tax districts, and more.

I have seen buyers cancel transactions after receiving the NHD report and finding the subject property was on or close to an earthquake fault. Buyers must make their own assessments of the level of risk – real or perceived – that they are comfortable with after receiving and reviewing the NHD report.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 14, 2013
This would be something you might have seen on the NHD report.
Most homes in Calif. are is some sort of natural zone.

There are a few lakes, example; Lake DeValle in Livermore, if that Dam breaks, water will travel through Alameda Creek toward the Bay, traveling through parts of Fremont. Since this has never happened, we don't really know how much water would travel and what type of damage - if any. This is an example of a dam inundation zone. Milpitas has a large lake off of Calaveras Road, however I'm not sure there is a dam.

Iliquefaction would be the earth moving during an earthquake. Whether you are located on harder or softer soil.

You can look this information up on the website they likely provided.
hope this helps,
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 14, 2013
If you need further information contact the person who prepared the report most of these companies have people on staff who can answer most questions and if not get you the answer. The risks are hard to determine and each person will make those decisions differently but what you have to consider is how long the dam has been there, how far away are you from the dam and what is the likely hood it would break or fail and flood the home you are considering. As for taxes I don't believe this has any impact on your property taxes as the taxes are calculated based on your purchase price. As for insurance you need to see if flood insurance is required by contacting a good insurance person but my guess is that it is not required and if it really worries you then you might ask how much would flood insurance cost.
Good luck and best wishes in your new home,
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 14, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer