Home Buying in Avon>Question Details

Jordan Dugan, Home Buyer in Bradenton, FL

I put in an offer not too long ago for a home, which they counter offered. The only thing that has me worried is that in the offer it says should the

Asked by Jordan Dugan, Bradenton, FL Mon Nov 18, 2013

septic or well come back damaged , the seller will credit 7000 to the buyer. Should I be worried ?

0 votes Share Flag Home Buying in Avon

I would ask to have it inspected by a certified septic and well inspector before agreeing to that. It can be very expensive. On on of my offers the septic came back bad and the cost just for the septic and finger system was 12,000 + also would have to pay to hook up to city which was 3000.
We had to drop out of that situation. I would know your numbers before you sign on that one. Way to risky.
Hi Jordan,

Who came up with the figure of $7,000 and what was that based on? The cost to repair a septic tank can vary greatly and as already stated, the price tag on a new septic tank is considerably more. Make sure to have it inspected.

Best of luck to you,

Barbara Grandolfo
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 23, 2013
Good. That's the way to do it. That would've fallen under "major defects" and left you with the right to back out, but putting it in the counter protects you and shows the bank that you're not going to be backing out ofer minor issues.
That septic system, as you likely know, would've had a 5-digit price tag.
No actually it's still in standstill right now . The house is bank owned and has been empty for 3 years prior.. If they accept our counter offer, we have included that if inspection comes back negative we have a chance to walk away
Jordan, $7000 probably isn't going to cover a new septic system. Did you accept the counter offer?
So long as you have the right to get everything inspected (at your expense) and walk away if you don't like the results, then you should not be worried.

Be aware though that if you need a mortgage then your lender may not be OK with a seller credit. They may require necessary repairs be made by the seller prior to closing.

You might want to ask your lender about this. If it will present a problem then you might not want to incur the inspection expenses.
I am not going to trigger a panic button here. If it is not in the disclosure, perhaps currently, the septic is working properly. Hence, the sellers don't have any knowledge that something could be wrong with the septic.

The seller, on the other hand, probably know that the septic is old and may have not been pumped for years.

These are just presumptions. Have your realtor ask the other realtor questions specific to the septic system.

Since, this is just a counter offer, you have the right to either accept or reject it. Or counter the offer.
Moreover, make sure you have septic inspection as part of the contract. The seller has already given you an indirect advice by stating this on the counter offer.
Be very careful on this one. Ask for full disclosure in writing of all defects. I would also request reinstate of your inspection rights of the well and septic per the contract and your right to walk away if you can't come to terms.
Was the septic or well disclosed as damaged in the Seller's Disclosure?

It sounds to me as if they know there is some sort of issue with the septic/well and are trying to lock you in a contract so you can't get out of it during inspections.

I would be very leery of this. Septic and well issues can be very costly to repair or replace depending on the issue.

Are you working with a Realtor?

Give me a call if you would like me to represent you on this transaction.

Avery Garrett
Coldwell Banker Kaiser
Mobile: (317) 721-2274
Office: (317) 844-1131
Fax: (317) 843-8450
12401 Old Meridian Street
Carmel, IN 46032