Home Buying in Morris County>Question Details

Andy2, Home Buyer in Livingston, NJ

I put an offer on a house.Owners just moved out and Cartus is handling the sale.They have not accepted or declined our offer. It's been week and

Asked by Andy2, Livingston, NJ Mon Nov 21, 2011

half. Does anyone know how long Cartus takes to reply and is the buying process different when Cartus is involved?

Answers

7
Andy2,

Having done numerous relocation sales, though none with Cartus, it can take up to two weeks for the relocation company to get their signature (actually a stamp) on all the paperwork (there is quite the packet), depending on how busy the relocation specialist is. Also if the "owners" haven't put pen to paper on certain documents because they are not local or unreachable, that can delay the process too.

However, I would have your agent ask the sellers agent to contact the case manager and find out what the delay is. Actually most paperwork during a transaction in relocation takes a bit longer. I have found even through the attorney review process, most of the attorneys for the relocation companies aren't so quick to reply. As Debbie said, be patient. You are dealing with a corporation, but they do tend to be more reeasonable along the way than an emotionally involved owner.
One other thing just occurred to me........there could be a delay if the transfer of ownership from the sellers to Cartus is just taking place.....but a week and a half seems excessive........

(Hi Alan & Joan - Happy Thanksgiving everyone!)
Hi Andy - Janet summed it up very well.

Unfortunately, the bad new is.........you're not dealing with a "live person" as the seller, but rather with a corporation and a chain of command, so your offer is just another one they have to sift through, among others. .

The good news is - you will not be dealing with emotional responses like you might have with a real live seller - so that can be a plus!

I just sold a home in town (Livingston) that involved a Cartus transferee, but they weren't actively involved, other than requestiing feedback. I also sold a one last week where Prudential Relo was acting as seller. Fortunately, they were very responsive, and things progressed quickly. The listing agent had an active, ongoing working relationship with the relo advisor, so that might have helped.

Point is............you need to be patient - these things can vary depending on the company.

Are you working with the listng agent, or is your agent orking as a buyer's agent?

The only thing you can do is ask your agent to stay on top of it, and ask Cartus when you can expect a response - at least some sort of time frame.
With Thankgiving quickly approaching, the wait might be a bit longer.

Andy 2 -- It is not unusual for a contract presented through a relocation company to take a few extra days to get a response. Consider that between you and the seller is a third party who does not have the same sense of urgency that the principal parties do. The seller also has a contractual arrangement with the relocation company that can complicate things on their end, and negotiations can be protracted just because there are more links in the chain. The relo specialist is also handling lots of files at the same time and if that specialist is out for a day or two, no one else is likely to pick up the file in their absence. So, with a bureaucracy in the middle it can be a slow process, but you usually get to the closing table. Think of it this way -- What seller is more motivated than someone who has already moved and taken a job in another town? A little patience should bring a good outcome. Best of luck.
Web Reference: http://janetellis.co
Cartus is a national relocation company. And they're typically pretty good about ratifying the contracts you send them within a few days...

That is assuming that you've sent them everything that's required, all documentation, all relocation addenda, and that everything is properly signed where it's supposed to be signed. And that's a big assumption.

What are you being told? The agent should be in communication with their Cartus representative. Ask what's going on... these are not nuclear secrets. They should be willing to share with you what the hold-up is.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
I honestly have no clue about Cartus- I have never dealt with them or known anybody who has. However, I was curious enough to google them to see what showed up and I thought you may be interested:
http://cartus.pissedconsumer.com/
if the owners that just moved out are the sellers, they would be the ones to reply. You should ask your agent or the listing agent what the hold up is point blank. The listing agent should be able to tell you what the delay is, why it is and how long they will take to answer.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com