Home Buying in Rochester>Question Details

12jmb, Home Buyer in Rochester, NY

I purchased a house advertised as a three bedroom house. Based on the appraisal the home had three bedrooms. Now as we go to sell the house the

Asked by 12jmb, Rochester, NY Fri Mar 9, 2012

appraisal will state only two bedroom. Do I have a legal chance in court?

Answers

4
1-855-joe-buys’ answer
Did you buy the property sight-unseen? Were there really 3 bedrooms in the house originally or was one converted (maybe the attic or garage?) You need to share a bit more information to get some solid answers here.

If you would like to speak with us directly, you can call us at 1-855-JOE-BUYS, leave your contact info and we will call you back. We cannot give you legal advice, but we can discuss your situation and help direct you to the proper person to speak with as we have numerous connections with local attorneys here.

If we don't hear from you, good luck to you!

Joe & Pam
What did you do with the other bedroom? Just kidding, the appraisal standards continue to evolve, depending on when you purchased the house it may have been okay to call it a 3 bed room, local custom can also be a factor. Who do you want to sue and for what? The square footage hasn’t changed unless you changed something, people buy space, not appraisal descriptions. Some two bedroom homes are more valuable than a five bedroom home, hang in there.
Perhaps you are using what was a bedroom for another purpose, an office perhaps, and the appraisal called it that instead of a bedroom. I don't see this as something to sue anyone over. If that is the case, simply ask the appraiser to modify his appraisal to reflect that this this room could be used as a bedroom. I frequently in my writeups make mention of more than one use that could be made of a particular room.
Forget the appraisal for a moment. A bedroom is a room with a door, a closet, and egress (a window) That is the real estate definition of a bedroom.

When you bought the home did you see it before you bought it or did you buy it sight unseen? Since having bought it have you made any physical changes to any of the rooms removing a door, closet or window(s)?

There's really no way to confuse whether a property has two bedrrom or three and if you made no changes I'm at a loss to understand your question. As to whether you have a chance in court, I strongly doubt it, but that's what courts are for. Who would you intend to sue?

It sounds to me as if you never saw the property you bought and went solely on the word of others, if this is true then it was your first mistake and hopefully you will have learned a valuable lesson, don't buy property you haven't seen and inspected for yourself. If you renovated and modified the home and in so doing lost a bedroom, then again you've learned a lesson.

You may want to give a little more information so that others might be able to advise you more effectively.