Home Buying in Detroit>Question Details

Rob Sarder, Home Buyer in Detroit, MI

I purchased a home on Ilene street.tenant is there.My management company can not get rent from them.Who can advise me what to do? Rob

Asked by Rob Sarder, Detroit, MI Tue Jan 29, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:


I live in Oregon and I have heard horror stories about property owners getting a tenant and can't get there rent and can't get them out of their home. This is crazy. I understand not being able to collect $ from a tenant but there is a process you have to follow. Go to your County Courthouse (small claims) department and out the process to get people out of your home. There is no reason that it has to take months as long as you go thru the process and do it right. We just evicted a gal out of one of our rentals and we were in court within 2 weeks and she was ordered to get out in 4 days, or the local sheriffs office would throw her and her stuff out in the street.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 11, 2013

I agree with all the others that have said to get another management company. If the management company is not performing for you, not safeguarding your interests, then replace them. They may have been around for 50 years, but they do not view you as a valuable client. I would consult an attorney if you are not sure how to proceed in firing them, especially if you have a long term contract. If there is no log-term contract, then usually a 30 day notice is all you need. At the same time start finding another management company AND start eviction proceedings on your deadbeat tenants...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 15, 2013
Your LAWYER should be be able to prepare you for the eviction process.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 15, 2013
By the way, 48221 is not close to Wayne State university at all. It's close to Marygrove college and University of Detroit.

Depending on the address numbers, part of that street is not in good condition at all ( usually South of McNichols). However unless we know the address, it's impossible to assess the condition of the block.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 31, 2013
Don't continue to accept bad service.

The money that it takes to remain with a poor company can often be recovered if you take fast action.

Some companies are frauds, some are overwhelmed, some simply don't have the time or skill to really help you.

Do not just let poor service go on- they are clearly communicating to you about how they will manage your home with their actions.

1. Send a letter terminating service
2. Engage new management and get a timetable in writing about what they will do and in what amount of time.
3. Have them send proof of what they've completed as its done.

Investing should be fun, stress-free and it should produce cash flow.

If this is not happening, there may be a larger problem with the property or neighborhood that you were not made aware of prior to purchasing.

It's better to know this right away in order to prevent more losses.

Please email if you need additional help: myrealestateteam1@gmail.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 31, 2013
Hi! Letitia,Thanks for yr great feelings and advice.I will communicate you after 3-4 hrs.Bst rgds.
Flag Thu Jan 31, 2013
Get a new management company. Or, evict the tenants. Best of luck.
Helen Fate-Campbell
Campbell Construction and Property Management
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 30, 2013
Who can tell me about Ilene street area MI 48221?Very close to WSU.I never visited the area.
My management company with 50 yrs experience are very slow and ineffective.They can not collect
rent from the Tenant.I am still hopeful.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 30, 2013

If you are not sure what to do, my recommendation is to hire an attorney who specializes in real estate so he can review the lease and your agreement with the managment compnay. They can also assist what the rules are in your city regarding eviction. Good Luck
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 30, 2013
Great property managers are extremely hard to come by. I highly recommend a firm that has over 20 years of commercial, multifamily and single family experience.

Licensed, mature, and effective communicators.

Ronald Weaver Jr.
Management Systems Residential

(313) 687-4677 - Office
(313) 790-3295 - Mobile
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 29, 2013
Hi!Letitia,The Tenant has vacated the house.The house is 18711 ILENE.Can you take over the matter to find out Tenant?Then I can sign agreement with your company.My management company is not doing anything.Rob
Flag Fri Feb 15, 2013
My management company has 50 yrs of experience.May be they can not concentrate on it?Might be they are overloaded?In 3-4 days I shall apply for ITIN.
I am hopeful.bst rgds.
Flag Wed Jan 30, 2013
find a new management company, and ask for references, then call the references.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 29, 2013

If your management company cannot give you pertinent advice, what are they good for?

The agent who helped you to buy the house may be of help.

A real estate attorney may be necessary. Costly, but will get the job done right.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 29, 2013
Hi!John,Can you pls sdvise me how i can sell out my Single Family home at 18711 ILENE,Detroit?I had tenant but they left.I can give good discount.Who can come forward?
Flag Sat May 11, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer