lmrobertson1…, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

I provided a $10,000 check to hold a specific homesite. When I came back to write the contract notified they gave the site to away. What can I do?

Asked by lmrobertson1064, Atlanta, GA Sat Nov 9, 2013

I was offered another site but not as good as the one I had that was facing the woods on a cul de sac.

Answers

4
Although I wasn't there and didn't see the details of holding a lot in that neighborhood, it's sounds like the kind of place you don't want to do business. If they cut you out and sold the lot to someone else without at least giving you a call than shame on them. I'd make up a nice large sign and walk back and forth in front of the community. What happened to you stinks!
Don
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 10, 2013
Thanks Donald :).
Flag Sun Nov 10, 2013
Sorry about that, Imrobertson. Lot reservation form usually doesn't mean a lot unless, at this point, that's all what builder is offering. Builder should have given you at least a courtesy notice about the upcoming contract so you can have an equal opportunity to participate in a bidding.

What is the name of the community? I believe you just got yourself a leverage. Give me a call, lets work on a strategy.
You may have had a lot reservation form. This would be them saying that you can "reserve" the pending a submitted contract. But if another buyer writes a contract on it before you do, you can lose it.

You correctly note that wasn't a contract. Your agent should have thoroughly briefed you on what this was and made it clear. As for the agent being out of town - well that seems to have cost you want you wanted. You and the agent should have discussed your desire for this lot and the contract should have been written.

At this point either hope this falls apart and you get another shot at it or move on to a new lot. You might also want to look into an agent that's better able to meet a client's needs - this is a business where things are lost very quickly and unexpectedly. There is no excuse for an agent being "out of town" without back up.
Web Reference: http://www.hmtatlanta.com
I have to think there are no Realtors involved in this "deal" and probably no lawyers either. It sounds like something a builder or developer would do. Without correct legal documents I doubt you can do much but chalk it up to experience. What was in writing and signed by all parties?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 9, 2013
A lot reservation form with my name, the name of the company, the lot number, my present address.
Flag Sun Nov 10, 2013
My realtor was out of town, which is why we did not write the contract that day. The agent for the new home developer had me to complete a form at the time which included my name, and the lot number with a copy of check. It was not a signed contract but again did include the exact site number where my home would be located.
Flag Sat Nov 9, 2013