Home Buying in Fishers>Question Details

Acp, Other/Just Looking in Outside U.S.

I posted back in April about relocating from Europe and we had a look around the Indy surburbs

Asked by Acp, Outside U.S. Wed Jul 7, 2010

I now have a couple of questions :
1) We wouldprefer to rent the first year because we want to get the home purchase right without having to move a 2nd time. It's just not possible, perhaps, to find the right place to live after a short visit. For example, we thought that we would prefer Fishers and Carmel based on what we read. But when we looked around, we liked Bronwsburg and Avon because these communities seemed more laid back.
2) Is it possible to rent a home that is for sale with the option of buying it? There are two reasons for this. We want to make sure the house is right (it's a huge relocation) and also we might not ba able to get the right credit to purchase a house for a year b/c our credit in Europe won't transfer with us. I have checked into this with our bank (HSBC).
I worry a little bit about the quality of rentals...we are probably considered upscale and would be eventually be purchasing a home for around $400,000 while maintaining a house in Europe.

Answers

1
Laura Musall’s answer
That is a big move. I working with a family now who is moving from the Indianapolis out of the country. To answer your first question: Yes, it's possible to do a rent with an option, although it's not as easy to do, because most homesellers really don't want to worry about whether the deal is going to work out, so they are reluctant to do that. I understand not wanting to move twice.

My advice is to get educated on the area and work with someone who is very familiar with Indianapolis and the suburbs. Brownsburg and Avon definately feel much differently than Carmel and Fishers, altough I think all of Indianapolis is pretty laid back. When I work with families moving from out-of-town, I typically ask them a ton of questions about what's most important, how you live, how you spend your free time, what you do on weekends and after work, because that can make a real difference on where you want to live. I don't know whether schools are an issue, but if you have children, you're going to want to get stats from the various schools to compare class sizes, test scores, extra curriculars, etc.

If you'd like this information, I'd be happy to provide it to you. You can send me your address or your email at Laura@TalktoTucker.com, or call me directly at 317.702.0058.

Best of luck.