Home Buying in Greenwich>Question Details

Lsabol, Home Buyer in Greenwich, CT

I plan on moving to Westchester County or CT (w/i 45 min train ride of NYC) next Sept. I want to buy a townhome ~$600k. When should I start looking?

Asked by Lsabol, Greenwich, CT Sun Oct 17, 2010

Answers

12
Richard Breglia’s answer
Lsabol,

The taxes in Greenwich are the lowest taxes around by far. Why pay high taxes elsewhere when you could use that money to pay down your mortgage or use it for something else. The ammenities Greenwich has to offer are second to none! The town of Greenwich has Todd's Point (beach), Greenwich Ave with all the resturants and shops you could imagine all on one strip, Great Library, Great Hospital, state of the art YMCA and much much more...
You should come and spend the day here in Greenwich and I think you will be hooked. I would be happy to give you a tour!!!

Please feel free to contact me anytime: 203-273-3916

regards,

Richard

Richard Breglia "Team Advantage"
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
177 West Putnam Ave
Greenwich, CT 0630
203-273-3916
richard.breglia@cbmoves.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 2, 2011
Hi Lsabol,

There are many townhouses in Westchester County that match your criteria. If you are commuting to Grand Central Terminal (GCT) you need to reference the Metro North website. There are 3 lines that run through Westchester County, the Hudson (green), the Harlem (blue) and the New Haven (red). Here is the link:

http://mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm

Click on each individual station for specific station information including commute times to GCT.

Robin Lynch
Keller Williams Realty Group
914-315-6182
Hello Lsabol,
To answer your question; I would begin by looking at maps of Westchester Co., NY and Fairfield Co. in CT as well as the Metro North train schedules to determine what areas to "hone in" on that would give you the best commute time.
The second step would to begin researching properties on the internet within those towns. Spring is traditionally the busiest time of year for sellers to place their homes on the market. I would suggest seriously begin touring homes with a real estate agent by April at the latest so that you will have the best to select from. Your closing terms and date are negotiable so you may find a seller agreeable for your move in September.
I hope this is helpful to you. Please, feel free to contact me with any questions.
Laura Feghali

203-536-4802
laurafeghali@prudentialct.com
Isabol,
Start your search and research now particularly if you are not certain where you want to live.
Before you rule out any town (Darien may have a shorter train ride than Greenwich during express times)
It's best to check the train schedules for the number of express trains during peak commute times.
GO TO MTA Metro-North Railroad
New Haven Line
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 17, 2010
If you want a 45 minute commute, you can eliminate New Canaan, and Darien is a stretch.

Greenwich gets the vote for having a variety of interesting townhomes, low taxes, lifestyle and the commute that you are looking for. Starting your search now makes sense for a couple of reasons. When you zero in on the ideal location, you can either wait it out, and hope for the best, or we could approach a perspective seller, even if their townhome is not currently on the market, to see iof they may intend to sell within your timeline. There are future sellers just as often as there are future buyers.
Isabol,
You have many townhouse/condo options in both Fairfield and Westchester county in your price range.
The first thing you must determine is the type of loan/ financing.
If you plan to apply for an FHA loan you will need to look for the FHA approved condo complex.
If you are applying for a conventional loan you will have more options.
A great way to narrow down your townhouse search is online. You can rule in/out by researching each town. Look at pictures and map each condo. It is helpful to set up a search account in both Westchester NY and Fairfield County CT. Please let me know if you need my assistance.
Hannelore
914-450-3880
Why are you waiting to buy? Rates have never been lower than they are right now, and your monthly payment can buy you more of a house.
You should do some preliminary investigating to see the difference between the 2 areas. One thing that I have found from people looking in both areas is that the taxes are lower in CT than in Westchester. So again, different priced homes can cost you the same in the end. If you would like to have me run some numbers for you, feel free to contact me through my Trulia profile. My office is on Long Island, but our headquarters are in Stamford, and that's where we underwrite our loans.
My suggestion is to start a broad search now to determine which location you would like best. Townhomes are usually less expensive in Westchester but taxes are often higher. It would be very beneficial if you can determine which option you are leaning towards to better target your search. After determining if Connecticut is a better option for you, I suggest looking in Greenwich, Stamford, Darien and New Canaan. These four communities are very different and offer diverse services and a very broad price range. I can begin to send you information on all four of these towns that will give you a better idea of what is currently available in your price range and the type of amenities that are specific to each town. If you are interested in more information regarding the four CT towns I mentioned please email me at deirdrem@afahomes.com. I look forward to working with you....Deirdre McGovern
You should definitely consider Greenwich, CT. It is a beautiful town with great beaches, parks and recreational activities, plus great restaurants and shopping. While home values are a bit higher than Westchester county, annual property taxes are significantly less. Reply with your e-mail address if you'd like me to send you some available town homes
It's never too early to start looking. One thing I do for a lot of my clients that are considering moving is to set them up with a formal online search program. That way they can stay updated with what is coming on and off the market. When they are ready to start looking at specific houses I jump in and show them around. Do you want me to set you up?
Web Reference: http://www.scottelwell.com
I would start looking about 6 months prior to get an idea as to what is available, pricing, and help you determine what it is you really prefer.
Web Reference: http://www.cathyabboud.com