Home Buying in Sun City>Question Details

Brian, Other/Just Looking in Sun City, AZ

I notice alot of homes in sun city have electric heat in them . Does this mean they have heat pumps, or electric strips with zone heating . Or

Asked by Brian, Sun City, AZ Sun Feb 6, 2011

some other kind of set up.

Answers

8
If they have electric heat, it's almost certainly going to be a heat pump.
Aren't u young for that town? And the doggy, I doubt doggies fly there. But I hope so 'cas I'm really considering it.
Flag Fri Jun 15, 2012
Many of the earlier homes in Sun City Phase I and II have gas heat with the furnace in a interior cabinet of home or wihin a roof mounted gas-pak system. There are sections within Phase II that have only electric heat (heat pumps usually roof mounted and those with gas would be gas-pak units also roof mounted. In Phase III (North of Bell Road) electric roof mounted heat pumps were the primary systems. In neighbooring community Sun City West (built by Del Webb from 1978-1997) you will find certain areas that were only electric but those are in areas built in the early development of the community (1978-1984). The homes built in the mid 1980s to early 1990s often have gas heat based on the area built. These homes with gas had roof mounted gas pack units. From about 1992 through build-out most homes had gas heat (heat unit in usually in garage and a/c compressor outside mounted on slab next to home). Del Webb used mostly Rheem and/or York units in these last series of homes. Larger homes (apprx 2300+ SF) had twin units with two thermostats. All systems were central heating and air with no baseboard heating.
Here is some Sun City Trivia for you. Up until approx. 1970/71, all the homes in Sun City had gas heating, in the form of a Gas pack unit. Then the pipe-fitters went on strike. Del Webb would not give into their demands, so he changed to all electric. He employed Goettle to build a heat-pump that could handle the AZ climate. Most of the heat pumps had the extra cost heat strips for times when it was too cold for the heat pumps to heat efficiently. Only a Realtor would know this stuff now!
Brian

You are on the right tack, some are straight heat pump and some may also be a combination of heat pump with electric strips. Some are built with straight AC and then heat strips in the air handler and some have heat pump and heat strips in the air handler. When heat pump they will often have an aux switch for emergency heat that turns the strips on with the heat pump.

Doug McVinua
HomeSmart

Arizona Homes for Sale by a Guy from Iowa
Web Reference: http://www.McVinua.com
Dell Web used Gas until about 71 or 72, but in the all electric homes. As for the way the heat is delivered most are heat pumps and almost all are central forced air, few have base board heaters. That is why most of Sun City West is all electric up to “expansion area” built in the 90s and also in Sun City Grand where they mostly have natural gas.

In Sun City there are always exceptions, that is just the way Sun City is. The only thing you can say is most residence are 55 or over, everything else is up to the individual. That is the best thing about Sun City “Its Original”.
If you have a question about a particular home ore area give me a call I would be happy to help you 623-2033-1442
Dear Brian:

Yes back in those 1970's days, the Builder's flyers and advertisements promoted "All Electric" Home. Sun City was built "way out" in those days. Today the City, as you know, is all around.

Electricity is what was available. The new modern Heat Pumps are extremely efficient at producing both cooling and heat and the electric costs are reasonable for the average home with a higher SEER Heat pump.

May I wish you the best.

Jeff Masich
Arizona Homes and Land
HomeSmart
Web Reference: http://ArizonaHomesLand.com
Brian - the homes you are looking at in Sun City were built in the late 1960's and 1970's when electricity was cheaper than gas. They have heat pumps and AC combined in a forced air system. At the time the hot ticket were "All Electric" homes. Actually most seniors prefer it to gas as it is cleaner and less volatile. If you have any other questions regarding the Sun Cities, please let me know. Barbara@BarbaraNichols.com
Most Sun City and AZ homes have heat pumps or gas packs and are a part of a central heating and cooling system (HVAC).
Web Reference: http://www.jameswehner.com