Home Buying in Las Vegas>Question Details

Mtnewbold, Home Buyer in Salt Lake City, UT

I need to get out of my apartment lease what is the best way to do it?

Asked by Mtnewbold, Salt Lake City, UT Sun Feb 17, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:


We are not attorneys on this website and Realtors do not give legal advise. Sometimes attorneys mess things up so I'd say your best bet is to talk to the office and ask them what your options are. They deal with this issue all the rime and should have a policy.
Maybe you could rent it out- replace yourself....
Good luck
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 17, 2013
Be Very careful when getting advice over the internet. A lease is a binding contract. The law will recognize changes in circumstances for example job loss, health issues and so on. If a landlord has been upfront with you or has allowed for a discounted rent amount for accepting a lease then in all honesty, you owe it to your landlord to be honest.

There must be a reason you want to terminate the lease. You don't express the reason or need to terminate a lease so the advice you get will be generalized and possibly of no value. If you want to terminate your lease due to renters remorse, that typically wont fly. There are specific laws that give rights to a renter and also a landlord.

I will tell you this: Fortunately, in some areas rent is mush less than others and keeping apartments rented may not be easy for a land lord. The economy suffers and that also means in some areas landlords have made rents low to keep from loosing income. However, the last thing you want to do is get an eviction on your credit ratings. That would stay with you a long time and if you ever need to rent in an area that requires good scores you may have a problem.

I recently moved here from California, Orange County to be exact. In Orange County a renter needs to have income three times the rent amount, typically a first and last month deposit and a cleaning deposit. That could be thousands of dollars to move in. When I moved here I received 1/3 off the first months rent and basically no deposits. Additionally, the rent I have now is less than half of what my rent was in CA.

So, my advice is if you are looking to find a place that rents for less then you may need to either work with the landlord or finish up with what you had agreed to. I did see that someone suggested you find a renter for your place. What ever you do, unless you have a ton of trust in someone, let someone move in under your name to finish out the lease and make the payments. That could be a disaster! Imagine, you move and let someone move in to take over rent responsibility but the apartment and lease is in your name. Firstly, that probably is not legal but secondly if that person doesn't pay and gets evicted, you are liable for all the costs of eviction and any unpaid amounts to satisfy the lease. But worst of all, the eviction would be in your name and go on your credit reports!

Hope that helps
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 19, 2013

Typically the only way to get out of your lease is to wait for it to expire. However, if there are habitability issues i.e. no heat, no water, leaking pipes, etc AND you have notified the landlord more than once, you can break your lease. This is typically true for all areas. Also if there is another issue such as job loss, financial issues, etc you can talk to your landlord. They may be more reasonable than you think. You will never know if you do not ask.


Nakia Woodson
Wardley Real Estate
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 18, 2013
Is your apt in Salt Lake City or Las Vegas??

David Cooper Investments and Property Management
http://www.lasvegaswinner.org 702.499.7037
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 18, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer