Home Buying in Charlotte>Question Details

Allison, Other/Just Looking in Jefferson, MA

I need info about Monroe, NC. What are the attitudes there (political, social, etc.). Is it considered more rural than suburban?

Asked by Allison, Jefferson, MA Fri Jan 25, 2013

Answers

7
Gloria Fridrich’s answer
Hi Allison,

Monroe is a pretty big city in Union County which is easy commute into Charlotte. Union county has lower takes than Mecklenburg County and many (including myself) have decided that besides the lower taxes and more "country feel" of Union County that the location to Charlotte makes it a great place to live. If you want to be closer to Charlotte and a more suburban feel to a community you might consider other towns in Union County, like Wesley Chapel, Indian Trail, Weddington or Marvin. If you would like more info on these towns feel free to contact me or read about those towns on my website
http://www.movingtounioncountync.com

Also, remember that some addresses may say Monroe but that is only the mailing address and they may actually be in another town. This is also the case for some towns that say Matthews but are actually in Union towns like Wesley Chapel or Weddington.

Good luck with your move.
Hi Allison,

I just relocated from New York and I am not a real-estate broker, my alumni is J&W, Providence. That being said, I been here 2 months and Monroe is very rural. If you are looking to be close to Charlotte, this may be far for you. Political and social opinions here, most consider us Yankees, if they are from the South originally. I have met some wonderful friends here, but they are from the north. Socially there are Meetups which are great way of meeting new friends, I did, and I am 49. There are some Meetups like tennis who where not accepting. I took 4 trips here , before I found a apartment to rent. Every day I face new challenges, but the weather is beautiful, I live in Fort Mill/Ballentyne. If you have any further questions shoot me email, I started a service for people like us who need a little help to relocate, it is affordable, and it will make Charlotte home to love!
Good Luck....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 26, 2013
All areas have all "types" of people. I guess I have never been asked if this was a "republican" or "democratic" city before. Attitudes of a general city can't be determined by anybody
Good afternoon, Allison:
There are some very nice historic areas of Monroe, some newer and existing suburban sections and some rural areas to the far south and some equestrian estates scattered around the edges. http://www.monroenc.org/ indicates that Monroe, with a population of 36,392 is the county seat of Union County. There is a downtown area where the historic, 1886 Victorian Courthouse is located in a central square and draws attention from every direction. To the north, lie County and City government buildings - to the south, quaint downtown shops, restaurants and businesses. Several fountains and small park areas are part of the downtown landscape.
As far as attitudes go, there is a diversity of people and opinions - I am sure you could find people with attitudes that you like. Truila has an informative tab about the market conditions and demographics, Market Trends, Schools, Crime and Community Info http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Monroe-North_Carolina/ If you appreciate an answer, please give thumbs up. For the most helpful answer, please say thanks with a best answer click.
Monroe is located in Union County. That county has been one of the fastest growing in the United States. Union is located just outside of the Charlotte/Mecklenburg County area, making it an easy commute to areas of higher employment and major attractions such as Panthers Football, the NASCAR Hall of Fame, the Blumenthal Performing Arts Center, and other great sources of entertainment.

Monroe is the county seat but Union County, itself, is comprised of smaller towns surrounding it. Indian Trail is one of those towns. It was named by Family. Circle as one of the top ten best towns in the nation just a few years ago. Weddington is another small town outside of Monroe that is home to an equestrian community and one of the most highly desirable high schools in all of North Carolina.

As far as rural vs. suburban, the Hwy. 74 corridor leading into Monroe from Charlotte is very urbanized. The surrounding areas are home to some of the nations largest turkey and chicken farms. The area over by Weddington and Waxhaw has more of the small town feeling but is just outside of an area referred to as Ballantyne. That area is home to the world famous Ballantyne Resort Hotel where the president stayed while attending the Democratic National Convention in 2012. (The Republican Party is trying to make Charlotte the location of their next convention.)

Monroe has a lot to offer. It is steeped in history and located on the path to the Carolina beaches, as well.

If you would like an informational package and maps to be sent to you, please give me a call. I would love to share my heart and expertise about the Carolina's and all they have to offer.

Blessings upon you...
Jan Teel
TEEL Realty
704-641-0267
Web Reference: http://Www.teel-realty.com
Hi Allison. Unfortunately, Federal Fair Housing Laws prohibit real estate agents from giving out information and/or opinions about any neighborhood, city or region's political or social attitudes. We can't discuss crime, or even what we think of the schools. Our hands are tied! You can click on the Local Information tab and see what you can find there. You can also go to the City of Monroe's visitor and tourism site http://www.visitmonroenc.org/ for more information. I can tell you that Monroe is a small suburban city located about 30 mins south of Charlotte, which is a very urban. Best of luck in your search. Kathleen Turner, ABR, CRS, ePro
Like anywhere there are several different opinions. It is a little more rural than charlotte , but only about 20 minutes from the city. I would be more than happy to send you a relocation package that tells you all about the charlotte area. Just email me your mailing address. Charlottehomepro@gmail.com
Web Reference: http://Www.jonnyagent.com