Home Buying in Durham>Question Details

Pamcallister, Home Buyer in Durham, NC

I might buy into the 55 community Del Webb is building in Durham. I'd like to get some general thoughts about the project from some of the natives.

Asked by Pamcallister, Durham, NC Mon Feb 25, 2013

Answers

4
Hi Pam:

I just saw this question and wanted to respond as I have been helping my mom through the process of narrowing down and deciding on an over-55 community in the Raleigh/Durham area (she currently lives in California) and Carolina Arbors by Del Webb is one of her finalists.

I encouraged her to look at Del Webb (which she is very familiar with as she has friends who live in the Sun City community in the Palm Springs area) and, specifically, at the new community in Durham because it is more affordable than the current Del Webb community in Cary (Amberly) but has all of the same amenities and similar floorplans. I have sold quite a few homes in Amberly, as a broker, but I think that the new Del Webb community in Durham is in a better location as it is so close to all of the shops and restaurants in Brier Creek, as well as in close proximity to downtown Durham with all of its cultural activities (i.e., Durham Performing Arts Center, the Carolina Ballet, continuing education classes at Duke University, etc.), a 15 or 20 minute drive to Lake Jordan in Durham or Falls Lake in Raleigh, and convenient to the airport for travel.

We also like the fact that Del Webb builds a very good quality home with lots of included amenities and features. The floorplans seem to work quite well too.

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions for you!

Tracy
One of the things I would suggest is that you look for feedback from residents of other Del Webb communities, because this one is very similar to their other projects. You should be able to find feedback regarding quality of houses, amenities, ease of signing up for activities, making friends, etc. I've heard positive and wishy washy negative, though rarely about the houses or facilities.

Good luck with your decision. If I can help in any way, even to answer questions, contact me.
Dell Webb builds a very nice community. I have sold homes over in their community Carolina Preserve/Amberly, over in Cary, that they are just wrapping up. It is about 10-15 minutes away from where this new one is going in over in Durham. My clients have been very happy with their homes, the amenities, and the residents in the neighborhood. I would say the location as far as convenience will be the same or possibly a bit better being so close to RDU airport, 540/40 interchange and getting into downtown Raleigh. It is in a different county which means different schools and taxes, Carolina Preserve/Amberly is in Wake and Chatham counties and this new one is in Durham county. Though schools might not be an issue at all in a 55 and older community the property taxes in Durham city/county combined are usually about 30% higher than in Wake county and city taxes. Taxes I know are one thing that retirees do tend to focus on because of fixed income.

Whatever you do I would definitely recommend getting a buyers agent to act on your behalf, especially if you are relocating from out of the area. You need someone on the ground to check on things as the home is built. Also if any problems or miscommunications arise it is preferable for you to have a professional real estate broker representing just your interests. After all the builder/developer will have a team of agents representing their interests. Best of all it usually will not cost you anything as the builder and developer will pay your buyers agent their commission.

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

PS: There are also some other 55+ neighborhoods near Chapel Hill and down in Apex. Let me know if you would like information on them.
If you are talking about the on off Page Road...I think it is a very nice community...good location for Durham, Raleigh and great access to I-40 and short commute to RDU Airport.
Jeannette,
If your thinking of the K. Hovnanian community off Page road called 4 seasons I just confirmed that they stopped construction back in July 2012. I think they are talking about the new neighborhood Del Webb is doing up 70 near where Leesville road comes in south of Brightleaf at the Park.
Flag Mon Feb 25, 2013