Tess, Home Buyer in Lathrop, CA

I made an offer to a house that was built in 1972. My agent told me not to hire a general Inspector instead get a roofing and termites inspector only.

Asked by Tess, Lathrop, CA Mon Jun 24, 2013

Answers

6
I'd be seriously considering retaining another RE professional. No real PROFESSIONAL would ever make such a rediculous suggestion. Nothing less than a full home inspection provided by and experienced and reputable home inspector (preferably disinterested and licensed general building contractor who only does inspections and is not contracting).
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 30, 2013
Hi Tess,

Since you are asking this question it's likely that you find this recommendation "suspect." Even without knowing the entire details of your transaction, the advice provided by those in this forum should provide you with the clarity required to make the right decision.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 25, 2013
Without a doubt, your Realtor should recommend ALL THE FOLLOWING INSPECTIONS:
Whole Home Inspection
Roof Inspection
Pest Inspection
Chimney Inspection

Call or Text me anytime @ 209-814-0119 for any of your Real Estate needs...

Your friend and Realtor, Henry Brooks
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 25, 2013
A typical approach to inspections is to hire a general inspector first. The general will identify areas that need a more focused look and at that point you hire the appropriate specialist (electrical, plumbing, roof, HVAC, termite, etc.).
Roof and termite are considered automatic, however.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 24, 2013
Personally, I would order a whole house inspection and usually the inspector can/will tell you if he sees any evidence of termites. You don't want to pay for to many different inspections if not needed.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 24, 2013
Sometimes, free advice is worth just that.
Since my advice is free too; you will have to decide:
A General Inspector checks (almost ) everything.
A Roofing inspector is looking for a roofing job, and only roofing.
A Termite (Pest) Inspector is looking for insects.
Who is looking at your plumbling, Wiring, Foundation, Doors & Windows, stucco, Chimney & Fireplace, Appliances.....
Do you only brush half of your teeth?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 24, 2013
Thank You so much.
Flag Mon Jun 24, 2013