Diane Cartwr…, Home Buyer in Seaside, OR

I'm unfamiliar with Portland. Is this a safe area?

Asked by Diane Cartwright, Seaside, OR Tue Apr 30, 2013

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3004144262-13123-SE-Cooper-St…

Answers

10
Portland is like any other major metropolitan center; there are good areas and those which are not so. Here are the crime stats according to http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/or/portland/crime/

Portland Crime Data

CRIME INDEX
7
(100 is safest)
Safer than 7% of
the cities
in the US.
Portland Annual Crimes
VIOLENT PROPERTY TOTAL
3,036 30,260 33,296
annual crimes per 1,000 residents
5.11 50.96 56.07
Violent Crime Comparison per 1,000 residents

NATIONAL MEDIAN
3.9
MY CHANCES OF BECOMING A VICTIM

in Portland
1 in 196
in Oregon
1 in 404
5.11
2.48
Portland Oregon
Population 593,820Portland violent crimes
MURDER RAPE ROBBERY ASSAULT
REPORT TOTAL 20 258 916 1,842
RATE PER 1,000 0.03 0.43 1.54 3.10
Population 311,591,917United States violent crimes
MURDER RAPE ROBBERY ASSAULT
REPORT TOTAL 14,612 83,425 354,396 751,131
RATE PER 1,000 0.05 0.27 1.14 2.41
Property Crime Rate Comparison per 1,000 residents

NATIONAL MEDIAN
29.1
MY CHANCES OF BECOMING A VICTIM

in Portland
1 in 20
in Oregon
1 in 32
50.96
31.15
Portland Oregon
Population 593,820Portland property crimes
BURGLARY THEFT MOTOR VEHICLE THEFT
REPORT TOTAL 4,304 22,725 3,231
RATE PER 1,000 7.25 38.27 5.44
Population 311,591,917United States property crimes
BURGLARY THEFT MOTOR VEHICLE THEFT
REPORT TOTAL 2,188,005 6,159,795 715,373
RATE PER 1,000 7.02 19.77 2.30
Crimes Per Square Mile

NATIONAL MEDIAN
39.6
229
58
Portland Oregon
Portland maps is the right site to answer your questions. Homes have different values in different parts of the city. So if you would like information on homes to compare to this one, I can help you. Tom Inglesby, Broker REMAX
The answer is simple. Every place is safe, and every place is dangerous. It is a matter of degree. Your question is a legitimate one. It is posted on the wrong website. You need to consult a site that specializes in crime statistics. Good luck.
Let's be honest: there's no place on this earth we can be really safe. Or I might be wrong? Who knows? There are plenty of other websites, for other counties in this area and also for the cities in these counties, where you can find a lot of data regarding a particular concern. In particular, for the city of Portland, indeed, go for portlandmaps but in order to decide on your next purchase there's much more to consider than statistics. That's why I suggest getting in touch with a real estate agent in the area. all the best.
One more thing, "there's an app for that" meaning the Apple App store for IOS devices and Google Play store for Android OS phones and tablets both.
The website I recommend is www. Portlandmaps.com. It covers crime statistics, type of crimes for all of Portland. If you are interested in a particular address you can also check for permits, historic permits, sex offenders in the area. It is an invaluable tool.
I had a buyer moving from Lloyd Center area to North Portland and he was worried about safety and crime issues as you are. He checked that site and found out that his current location-an area where he felt safe actually had more crime than the house he ended up buying in North Portland. As I have a deaf daughter safety is something I am more aware of and highly value for my clients Joan Bowyer Principal Broker, John L Scott-31 years of helping buyers and sellers-503-260-2416. Bowyerjo@aol.com
Realtors really cannot comment one way or the other about neighborhood status. Besides that, we all have our own idea of what is meant by "a good neighborhood." I recommend checking local crime statistics and other sources of public information so you are fully educated about the area.
There are all sorts of statistics you can refer too with Google. A healthy assessment of your risk tolerance and confidence will help you gauge your comfort level and integrate to the equation. Different parts of Portland and for that matter any city large or small can have their pockets of risk and types of crimes.

I have lived in Southwest Portland for 45 years and have never been a victim of any crime fortunately but I also am constantly aware of my surroundings. Portland is generally low on violent crimes measured against national figures. Statistics are nothing more than odds. Many times people are concerned about how a safe the neighborhood is where a home they are considering, but shocked to find the home they are in presently and feel safe in may have a statistically higher rate of incidence than the one they are considering.

For what its worth, Oregon and Portland for that matter permit concealed carry which I am not advocating or discouraging for that matter, but national stats do indicate reduced violent crimes when law abiding citizens are permitted to exercise that right. It is the antithesis what happens in Chicago, NY and DC for instance.

Portlanders are pretty darn nice folks, the safety odds lean in your favor that said, I will always call it home.

Mark Piersall
Re/Max equity group
West Hills Branch
cmarkpiersall@remax.net
I always recommend the website http://www.portlandmaps.com. Just type the address in and you can get lots of information about the property and the neighborhood. You can find demographics of all kinds and crime statistics, too.

Stella Kopperud
Keller Williams
stella@asksarita.com
A great source for information on crime, schools and demographics is http://www.portlandmaps.com. Where are you moving from?