Betty, Real Estate Pro in Saratoga, CA

I'm thinking of replacing my Cadillac with a Ford Focus. The gas is killing me on the Caddy? You think clients will mind?

Asked by Betty, Saratoga, CA Tue Aug 6, 2013

Answers

7
This is such a good question. I often wonder how much clients/prospects judge us Realtors by the type of car we drive. I've concluded that some will but it depends on what area you cover and the general price-range you sell. Are lower price range Buyers intimidated by a luxury vehicle while Higher price range Buyers think you are not successful if you drive a sensible car? In the end, do we really want to choose a car because of how we will be perceived by some? I think most will not but there will always be some who will indeed size us up by the car we drive and the way we dress.

Go for the Ford Focus and save gas money!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 6, 2013
While you'd think the type of car doesn't matter to clients, it depends on the clients. Some are status conscious. Some are not.
Yes I've seen it make a difference to my clients. Even enough difference that you may want to give your husband advice about what he likes to drive. How much of a difference it will make to you depends upon both your client base and how much real estate sales means to you. Real estate sales is important to me. I will drive what my customers expect me to drive even though cars don't really attract my attention. Real estate attracts my attention.

A prestige car doesn't have to be a gas hog nor necessarily extremely expensive to make a good impression on most customers.

Knowledge and skill are of course essential. A car and clothes are necessary expenses.

Zip 95014 home values at http://julianalee.com/zip-code/95014-statistics.htm

Juliana Lee
Top 2 agent nationwide at Keller Williams Realty, the nations largest
Cell 650.857.1000

Over 20 years experience
Over 1,000 homes sold in Santa Clara County and San Mateo County
.
Web Reference: http://julianalee.com
I suggest going with an option that produces "0" car payment. I own a sports car and sedan, both have been paid off for years. I've used the sedan twice in the seven years I've been a broker.

What my clients care about is the services I offer them...not the car I drive.

Best of luck to you!
Hi Betty,

My husband drives a 2013 Ford Fusion, which is a hybrid. He is really happy with it! And I have to admit, when my "more expensive higher end" car was in the shop recently, I drove his car. I actually loved it! It handled nice, the blue tooth was wonderful and I think it's attractive too! Plus there is plenty of room for people in the back.... AND it gets almost 40 MPG (I think my car gets 15!)..

Since we both live in an environmentally focused area here in the Silicon Valley, I doubt it would be an issue at all. But that being said, I agree with the other comment to go with a hybrid (Ford's Fusion) vs. a Focus.

Hope that helps!
Judy
Hi Betty,

Certainly we all understand both the financial and environmental cost of owning a large car today, so none of the clients will mind your purchase of a smaller car. However, if you choose a smaller car, you need to show a good reason for the change and just buying a small gas powered car says negative things about you as an agent. On the other hand, a Prius, a hybrid car or the all electric Leaf or Volt says you are trendy, environmentally conscious and frankly, cool. So I would opt for the hybrid rather than a Focus. The added bonus is that the hybrid will save you even more money than the Focus ever could. Good luck!
try sitting in the back seat to see how comfortable it is. I've got a Hyundai Sonata hybrid that is very gas efficient and my clients say the back seat is comfortable.