Home Buying in Chicago>Question Details

Pat, Home Buyer in

I'm thinking of buying a condo located on the 13th floor of a luxury building in streeterville. I'm not

Asked by Pat, Tue May 27, 2008

superstitious but is this a factor that affects its value? Pat

We closed on one property on Friday the Thirteenth. Nothing untoward ever happened, although that may have as much to do with the fact that we have no bald-headed neighbors named Freddy or kids named Jason with a penchant to don goalie masks.

Another real estate superstition you might be familiar with regards St. Joseph. Legend has it that a St. Joe statue buried upside down in the earth (or a planter) facing east will successfully transact your home. After so doing you are to remove the statue and situate in a place of reverence in your home. When I told a good friend and client of this he laughed and said that for the statue to really work would demand that it never go upside down in the cold soil but to immediately take a position of reverence in the home to be sold.

Beauty being in the eye of the beholder, it is up to you where you place your faith or supersition.

Good luck in your Streeterville search!

Tom McCarey
The Real Estate Lounge Chicago with @properties

To be honest, I've personally not had buyers have issues with units located on the 13th floor. It can be a concern for some people and you will come across buildings without a floor numbered 13 for this very reason. When you have a unit number after the floor number (1302 for example), it doesn't feel so bad. Maybe unit 1313 is the one to watch out for?

Good luck, Ken.
Web Reference: http://www.KDRchicago.com
Hi Pat,
That's a funny question! But, a good one. I think that the number of people who are superstitious about the number 13 is so minimal that it would be highly unlikely that it would effect your resale.
If you need any assistance in your quest to find the perfect home, superstitious or not, don't hesitate to contact me. It's important to be represented by a Realtor in a purchase. You can bet that the seller is represented by a Realtor, and an attorney, so you should be too.
Sierra Bloom - 773-520-2615 - sbloom@prupref.com
I had a listing with uni #911 - The homeowner paid the assocation $1500 to have it changed to #915. I don't think it hurts though but I guess its a personal question
That's a great question, I often wondered if that hurt values. Probably not but one way to be sure is to check sales history of 13th floor relative to the rest of the building.
Web Reference: http://www.1sthomegroup.com