Home Buying in Sunnyside>Question Details

Jt, Home Buyer in Bernal Heights, San...

I'm thinking about moving to Sunnyside from Bernal- how do they compare? Is it really foggier there? If I buy a home, will it be a good

Asked by Jt, Bernal Heights, San Francisco, CA Sat Jul 24, 2010

investment?

Answers

7
Eric Castongia’s answer
A lot of good opinions in here.

One other consideration:
My experience has been that north of Monterey Blvd. tends to be more desirable from a buyer's perspective, so that would make it better from a seller's perspective also. Sunnyside is very block to block in terms of desirability, so cruising around to see how they compare is the best advise. Generally, the closer you get to Glen Park, the better and if you can find a home that has something to it, such as a view, garden, or architectural style is what will set you apart from other listings.

If you are looking in Bernal too, the same issues apply in terms of desirability: i.e. North of Cortland is generally better than South of Cortland. So, if your budget dictates South of Cortland, the same issues apply in terms of view, garden, architectural style, etc... to set you apart from other listings.

Best of luck.

Eric
Web Reference: http://www.sfhotbuy.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 25, 2010
Jt--You might be interested in my recently published list of best-weather neighborhoods in SF:
http://insidesfre.com/2010/07/21/neighborhoods-in-san-franci…

Bernal is inarguably sunnier and warmer than Sunnyside (ironically, given the latter's name). This is essentially due to where Sunnyside is located geographically, with respect to the various microclimates and San Francisco terrain.

Both neighborhoods has their own characteristics. Both have a strong community component. Bernal has a central retail district on Cortland that most of its residents can walk to. Sunnyside relies on the downtown Glen Park area, which can be a hike if you're further west in Sunnyside.

In terms of an investment, either can be good, but how solid of an investment will largely depend on where the home is located within each neighborhood. And your finances may also dictate where you can live. A total of 12 homes has sold in Sunnyside since the beginning of the second quarter, at an average of $723,333. In Bernal, 48 homes sold in the same time period, at an average of $815,077. There is generally more inventory available in Bernal (for example, there are 35 active house listings in Bernal now, vs 12 in Sunnyside.

Cheers,
Eileen
Web Reference: http://insidesfre.com
Jt,

There are several considerations you need to take into account when buying a home, and a primary one is resale value. A large part of resale value in San Francisco is what neighborhood your property is in, particularly when it is on or close to a border. In the years we've been in business I can't recall a single client who said they wanted to buy in Sunnyside, but there have been many for Bernal, and Bernal will also be decidedly sunnier.

You should also know that the MLS District map is about change. Two of the changes are expansion of Bernal and expansion of Glen Park into parts of Sunnyside. Whatever is now in Sunnyside that's about to be called Glen Park will likely have better resale potential. This is supposed to happen on August 10th.

Lance King/Owner-Managing Broker
lance@fixedrateproperties.com
415.722.5549
DRE# 01384425
Jt, Benal generally is considered a better area and accordingly prices are higher. There some very nice homes in Sunnyside as well. Sunnyside may well offer potential upside. Take a walk around and chat with the neighbors.
Good evening Jt,

You live in SF and the best way for you is to drive around Sunnyside and see how weather is different....
Need help? Let me know.

Ellie Kravets,GRI,TRC
Zephyr Real Estate
415.948.1601
Yes, it's foggier. Bernal is a better area as well. You might drive over during the day and also in the evening to see if you like the area and the weather.

Tap
In my experience I do find that Bernal Heights usually tends to be sunnier than Sunnyside.
The summer is a perfect time to witness the fog rolling in most afternoons around Sunnyside and most areas to the west. As far as your investment goes, a good Realtor will certainly be happy to show you a history of home values in both neighborhoods. If you are not already working with a Realtor, give me a call and I will be happy to help you.

My best-

Patrick Lowell, Realtor, CRS
Zephyr Real Estate
415-971-5651