Mark Galit, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

I'm thinking about buying in Cleveland Heights or Shaker Heights area. What are the positives and negatives of living there?

Asked by Mark Galit, Chicago, IL Mon Feb 4, 2013

Answers

5
Mark,

I had the same choice some years ago. I always wanted a home in Shaker Heights but I just found more house and yard for my money in Cleveland Heights. I had small girls at the time and wanted good schools without having to pay for Catholic school for two.

I picked Cleveland Heights and loved the neighborhood feel. My kids loved the schools and met great friends. I moved to the south but I miss my diverse neighborhood.

Traci
In Miami Now
Hello Mark...Cleveland Hts. is a great area to live. I grew up there. Easy access to downrown Cleveland and all the hospitals, University Circle, restaurants, entertainment, movie theatres and shopping and easy access to the sports arenas. The schools are good and there are public and private available plus good colleges such as. John Carroll Univ, Case Western Reserve, Cleveland State and Notre Dame to mention a few. There are beautiful older homes and tree lined streets and many beautiful churches of all denominations.

Carolyn Kolba CRS, ABR, GSA, SFR, REALTOR
Keller Williams Realty GCNE
440-567-7211 my mobile/text
Pros-

Beautiful old homes cheap, peaceful tree lined streets, excellent library systems, closely knit neighborhoods, low traffic congestion.

Cons-

High property taxes both cities, bloated city governments and budgets, sketchy demographics, lack of shopping variety, lack of freeway access, bumpy, pothole ridden streets, terrible schools.

Just scraping the surface; there is good and bad everywhere if you look hard enough. Just have to think about what you are willing to tolerate.
Both are great communities. Shaker has high taxes but you get great city services. Both have wonderful older neighborhoods with lots of character, and you are close to University Circle museums, the symphony, and the Cleveland Clinic. If you have children and if they want to attend public schools, you should check out the school systems. The state of Ohio has a website that rates every school system. Great info there. Go to :
http://www.ode.state.oh.us
School and District performance reports, issued annually, detailing students' ... below is information about Ohio's Accountability system, including state ratings
For more information, or to view homes you can contact me at 216-390-5115.
Hi Mark,

They have many similarities and also a few differences. Shaker Heights will be a bit higher in taxes. I think a lot would depend on your price range, housing interests, where you'd be working, if schools are important, etc. If you'd like to discuss your personal preferences and talk more about the two cities based on your goals, contact us anytime. We'd be more than happy to assist and go over all the differences with you!

Cecilia Sherrard & Andrew Ginter
440-781-8737
http://www.YouShouldOwn.com
Web Reference: http://www.YouShouldOwn.com