Peter, Home Buyer in New York, NY

I'm thinking about buying house in New Jersey. The one that I liked has asbestos outside. I can remove it. But would you recommend buying it?

Asked by Peter, New York, NY Sun Mar 18, 2012

Answers

10
Diane Glander’s answer
Are you talking about the older asbestos shingles?
I have heard from general contractors that the best thing to do is to go over them with siding. They are not dangerous until they are broken. That's when the asbestos is released into the air.
I would recommend you do your due diligence and search the internet for more information.
Web Reference: http://www.dianeglander.com
More home than people think have this siding either on it (outside) or on it under the current siding on the home.

As everyone below notes and as i understand it, As long as it is encapsulated by paint, or siding or something there should be no issues. But who really knows? I suggest that you continue your due diligence and speak to someone that you feel has the authority to give that clear cut answer.
Although I feel there is not one out there. Do what you are comfortable with… If it makes you feel better, I have it under my siding!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 19, 2012
I'm mixed on this one... I don't like the thought but I'm sure it's more widespread than we are aware of. But it's your call, if you don't want it, don't be afraid to pass!

Will Jenkins | http://www.campbellssiding.com/meridian/products/roofing.html
Flag Mon Jun 2, 2014
Peter,

Asbestos outside such as shack is on many homes . Asbestos is dangerous when it is airborne such as in dust particles . Left undisturbed it does no cause a threat .
Best of luck
I would only buy it if you are for sure going to get the asbestos removed. I think it's too dangerous to leave in the house. That would be the first thing to do once you buy it, even before moving in. http://www.asbestop.com.au
Flag Fri Jan 23, 2015
Hi Peter, A lot of older homes in the area either have asbestos flooring or shingles outside. It is something that can be fixed easily. you can call me with any questions 201-240-5479.
There are probably more homes than you know that have had asbestos-cement shingles on the home, and the homeowners just put vinyl siding right over it. As long as the siding isn't cracked or flaking, and is painted, if you don't have to remove it, why go through that expense? Asbestos removal can be costly as there are stringent federal EPA guidelines as to removal AND disposal of the asbestos. If you buy the home and decide to remove the shingles, make sure the company is licensed to do so.
Why wouldn't you leave it? What it really is, is cement siding with asbestos fibers. It holds paint excellently, because it doesn't expand and contract with the temperature, and the paint acts as a sealant so that stray fibers won't find their way into your lungs. Also - asbestosis, which is a serious lung disease, generally occurs in people who have sustained exposure over decades who are also smokers. Basically, asbestos miners who smoke.

Hi Peter,

From what I understand and my experience, siding is an option but if you want to remove it, that's an option too. You can also contact an asbestos contractor and get an estimate of what it would cost to remove it. You can also get an estimate of what it would cost to put siding over it.

I'm not sure if you are referring to a home that you are buying and the asbestos came up in the home inspection and if yes, you can get an estimate and either request the seller fix it or issue a credit. If you decide to purchase the home and want to remove the asbestos, make sure you hire a an asbestos contractor to make sure it is removed properly and correctly.
There are many home with asbestos siding.If it is not damaged,broken or chipped ( Friable ) then leave it alone and side over it. If you decide to remove it do so with a qualified asbestos contractor.
No, it doesn't. I thought it would be safer to remove it. Is siding a better solution?
Does it HAVE to be removed? Have yo considered siding over it?