Home Buying in Walnut Creek>Question Details

Klia, Renter in Outside U.S.

I'm relocating from Washington DC to the Bay Area with my husband and 2 year old son and looking for help to refine the neighborhood to live in.

Asked by Klia, Outside U.S. Sat Aug 18, 2012

I grew up in Santa Rosa and have lived in Chicago, Seattle and in the peninsula before. I like the Walnut Creek area but don't know enough about it to determine if it meets our needs. We will buy in 2013 and are interested in renting a condo/home until then. I would like to work with a realtor that can handle both the rental and purchase.

Answers

8
Hi Kila,

I'm also available to work with you and your family in finding the right home and interim rental until that time. Please visit my website which gives you lots of information on the area, ie, schools, links to information and testimonials from my wonderful clients.

Suzanne Looker, http://www.suzannelooker.com
Would be open to learning what your wants and needs are exactly to determine if we would make a great 'team!' I can certainly tell you all you wish to know about Walnut Creek and the surrounding towns and cities, or give you the resources to further explore...off to prepare for an open house in WC!
Hi Klia - Sounds like we're in somewhat similar situations! My husband and I are currently renting a house in Walnut Creek with our infant son, but planning to buy in the next year. We really like living here. Our neighborhood near Bancroft Elementary School is really quiet, and in walking distance to walking/biking trails, Heather Farm Park, Safeway, and a few neighborhood restaurants.

We've only lived here for a few months (were in SF for a few years, then in the Central Valley for a year), but have found lots of family-friendly activities so far. There's great shopping and food downtown, about a 10 minute drive - and most restaurants downtown are pretty stroller-friendly during the day. (Think we must have passed about 100 strollers in Broadway Plaza this afternoon!)

I second the recommendation for checking out the Berkeley Parent's Network. It's been a great resource for me!

All that said, don't think we'll buy here. We both work in SF, and despite being about a mile from the Pleasant Hill Bart, want to be a bit closer to the city. And while we've heard good things about a lot of the schools here, think we ultimately want to be in other districts. We've discovered the market to buy in parts of the Easy Bay is pretty competitive, so we'll see where we end up! :-)

Good luck with your search!
Kila, I would love to be your personal guide to the East Bayt communities of the San Francisco Bay Area. I am a native and know the communities well! Schools are very important to me and my family, as I'm sure they are or will be to yours. Feel free to contact me shold you wish to explore how we might work together. Please visit my website to learn more> http://www.Day-RealEstate.com All the best! DW
I'm curious where in Chicago you live, Klia. We lived in the north and west suburbs for over 15 years and still have a lot of friends there. What a great city - not as good in the weather department as Walnut Creek but a terrific city.

The rentals in Walnut Creek range from $1,250 to $10,000 per month right now, but I would be happy to send you some listings so you could look them over for yourself. How soon will you be coming our way? .

You will find many of your questions answered at http://www.jackiegiffin.com, but give me a call so you can see if we might be a good fit. I'm happy to help with whatever you need. I've been able to find some pretty remarkable people/companies to help solve a lot of those problems that you can't seem to avoid. I even got my own house in Michigan ready for sale from California. It's all about finding the right resources. Then the problems become manageable.

I hope I'll have the opportunity to meet you.

Jackie Giffin
925-951-7021
I'd recommend getting connected with the Berkeley Parent network. It's a wealth of information for parents on many, many topics. It can help give you a flavor of the area since it extends to services and recommendations for the entire bay area. It has a great reputation.

This web site contains thousands of pages of recommendations and advice contributed by members of the Berkeley Parents Network, a parent-to-parent email network for the community of parents in the San Francisco Bay Area. Founded in 1993, the BPN is run by a group of volunteer parents in their "spare" time. They send out 10 email newsletters each week to 30,463 local parents. Many busy parents have taken the time to enlighten and inform others with their suggestions, their wisdom, and their experience, archived here for all who need it.

http://parents.berkeley.edu/

I was born in Washington DC and many of my family members lives in the DC metro area, so I visit often. If you have an questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I have been in California since 1984, and have been raising my children here as well, in the Bay Area. I love the west coast. I work and live in Walnut Creek now, but the bay area offers much diversity within the 9 counties that make it up. If you want my help, let me know!
Hi Klia - If you want, take a look at this brief write-up I put together:
http://www.sparrproperties.com/getting-to-know-walnut-creek/
It will hopefully give you a high level overview of what the city has to offer.

Depending on your lifestyle and preferences, there are a number of different neighborhoods that you'll want to consider ... without knowing more about your interests, though, it's tough for me to give a recommendation right now.

I'd be happy to help you with both the rental and purchase - I live in Walnut Creek and know it very well. 925-817-8428.

Take care,
- Brian
Walnut Creek has more to offer someone who has lived in big cities like Chicago and Seattle. It is definitely the burbs with an urban feel to it. Most realtors can handle a rental and a purchase. Feel free to give me a call and I can give you more details and find out what you are looking for. I can be reached at 92-200-0073. I am a broker with Better Homes and Gardens/Mason McDuffie and have lived and worked in Walnut Creek for many years.