Home Buying in Pacific Beach>Question Details

Veronica Mar…, Home Seller in Pacific Beach, San D...

I'm not sure how to price my home to sell. I've done an appraisal.

Asked by Veronica Martin, Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA Sat Feb 23, 2013

Answers

26
Lance King-Founder/Broker’s answer
From your question it would appear that you are selling yourself. Basing your selling price on an appraisal is not a good idea.

You should hire a reputable local agent/broker who is experienced and available, because you are not going to save the money you think you are - most buyers want to have an agent so you will pay that fee, and most agents will deduct the other half from the price anyway - and you will avoid liability issues and having to do all that work for nothing.
LISTING PRICE
Understand that the LISTING PRICE has one primary objective, to attract attention: It is not intended to be set in stone, and in many cases it is not even a good guideline toward the SELLING PRICE.
Some Sellers believe that by setting the LISTING PRICE high, they can always come down, and people will make an offer anyway: WRONG! Buyers will just bypass the property and look at houses that are within their price range. And six months from now, the Seller will slowly start lowering the PRICE, (this is called “chasing the curve”) and Buyers will be asking the question; “What’s wrong with that house?” and “Why has it been on the Market so long?”
Other Sellers set the LISTING PRICE low, to attract multiple offers. (The correct strategy.) We are asked; “Aren’t you obligated to sell at this price if someone offers it?” The answer is probably not; for that to happen, you would first have to have only one offer, and secondly, the offer would have be exactly the same, down to the smallest detail, (please discuss this with your Realtor).
Another thought; Buyer will search for potential properties by groups; for example, $400,000 to $450,000, and $250,000 to $300,000. If your house is priced at $460,000 or $310,000, the Buyers will never see it. (something else to discuss with your Agent.)
Different Banks have different philosophies about pricing their properties: You cannot draw any conclusions without a good analysis.
Have your Realtor do a CMA, (Comparative Market Analysis) to help you determine your Offering Price. It is the surest way to determine the Market Value of the property.
Hi Veronica,
The appraisal is a good start. It will tell you the fair market value based on the past sales data for similar comparable homes. However, remember that this data is what happened in the last 90 days, not what is happening. The real estate market is constantly changing and right now there is more activity than in the last five years. Many homes are receiving multiple offers and selling in only a few days. I am also noticing the sellers are changing the negotiation time frames by collecting offers for a week and then selecting an offer. As per the contract a seller usually has only three days. The increase is a reflection of the current sellers market.
Setting a price on your home is one of the most important aspects and should be done with an experienced Realtor, who is highly motivated. Frequently I see a listing from seasoned Realtor that only have three or four poorly taken pictures. Find someone who will really make a commitment to help you.
Read my blog - Top 3 tips To Sell your house
Contact me today
Janet McCarthy
Premiere Homes
Jmccarthyhomes@gmail.com
858-243-5719
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 1, 2013
Try visiting this site maybe this could help you out! http://commercialinvestmentstrategies.com/ This is one of my resources. Mahalo for your post!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 28, 2013
I would contact a local Realtor. Sometimes what your house appraises for is completely different then what it would sell for.
In my area of Santa Clarita there is so little inventory buyer's are paying over appraised value just to buy a home.
I suggest interviewing three local Realtors in your area and get their opinion.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 25, 2013
Veronica,

Your REALTOR should be assisting your in getting and explaining the current market information to help you make a decision. I often put together a spread sheet for my clients of the comparable properties to include any concessiona adjustments, upgrades, condition, type of sale, type of financing, etc... as it helps to "SEE" them side by side. Your appraisal (if very rencent) is another valuable tool. In my opinion, it is important to have current MLS data (and not rely on data from other internet real estate sites).

Kind Regards,

Marcie Sands, REALTOR
Simply The Best Real Estate Co., Inc.
760-644-1562
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 25, 2013
As a couple have already said, the reaction of buyers (the number coming to see and the amount of their offers) should let you know if you priced the home right. The other variable is making sure you have a broad marketing reach. Home buyers find the home they purchase from the following sources:

1. 42% from the Internet.
2. 36% from a real estate agent.
3. 10% from a yard sign/open house.
4. 6% from a friend/neighbor/relative.

Be sure to cover all these bases and you will be in good shape. Also, being willing to work with buyer's agents is likely the best thing a FSBO seller can do to get their home seen (it covers bases #1 and #2 above). Search the web for 'flat fee MLS' to get your home on the MLS for a flat rate and work with buyer's agents. Good luck and let us know if you have any questions!

homecoin.com
http://www.homecoin.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 24, 2013
Hi Veronica,

Your appraisal is a great starting point. Having a professional Realtor provide a current market analysis after looking at your home is the next step. Houses are moving quickly right now and often with multiple offers. Which sounds great and easy but needs to be managed well by a pro. This is not a time for do it yourself! Let me know if I can help.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 23, 2013
Veronica,
An appraisal is an opinion of value; it's not a selling strategy. I've had appraisals come in higher or lower than the negotiated price of a home. Appraisals are a backward looking view of what has recently sold, but recently could be as long as six months ago.
My opinion is that a great local agent who is active in the market will have a great handle on your market, the direction its heading and how you can get top dollar for your house.
I've written a blog series called 4 Keys to Selling your Home Quickly and for Top Dollar. I've linked to it below. The 4th key is about being priced appropriately.
If you need a referral to a great local agent, let me know. Best of luck, I hope my blog helps.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 23, 2013
A lot depends on your motivation as well and what your market is. In my area, we are shifting to a seller market due to limited inventory. So listing it a little higher than normal is not uncommon. But be aware not to OVER price it so that no one will look and it becomes a "stale" listing which would attract bargain basement buyers.

The advice of a REALTOR in your area will also help determine these factors.

Hi Veronica,

The short answer is to find out what comparable homes in your area have recently sold for and make some adjustments to your asking price based on factors such as age, size, features and location. Homes are selling very quickly now due to a shortage of properties on the market and many homes are receiving multiple offers. In other words, you can price aggressively.
However, it's good to bear in mind that your initial asking price is like a first impression. If you don't price fairly and accurately and later have to adjust your pricing you set up a negative mind set in buyer's minds. They wonder what might be wrong with the property if you've reduced the price, will often bring you low offers because they may assume you are open to a bigger reduction in price, or they don't make offers at all. This opens up a situation where your property sits on the market and then buyer's wonder what's wrong with it that it didn't sell quickly.
If I can be of further assistance, please give me a call or email. Best of luck in selling your property.

Maureen Hanley
mhanley@sd.realtor.com
619-608-6167
The best would be to work with an agent who knows the area well and they can give you best advice on pricing.
Some sellers agent will tell you that you should list your home well below the market value so that multiple prospective buyers will be interested in purchasing it, and therefore, enter into a bidding war. The problem with this theory is that the possibility of a bidding war may scare off the right buyer! Or, even worse, it may attract unqualified buyers who can't afford the home but are searching for a bargain. Either way, you don't want the gamble to backfire, so it's best to list the home at a reasonable price where all parties involved will be satisfied when it sells.
Veronica,

Many homes are selling above asking price and can have as many as 20 offers placed within the first few days. That means a lot of phone calls and many showing appointments for one to endure which could be stressful and tiring. Pricing, Marketing, and Negotiating are 3 keys to selling your home, so
I would like to either have a phone consultation with you or sit down with you to discuss the process of listing and selling your home.

If you plan to sell your home without an agent then I could offer you a few FSBO options to save you money. If you want to hire an agent to walk you through the process from start to finish and ease the stress of selling your home, then call me anytime, as I'm available 24/7 for my clients.

Rashard Scott
619-565-3604
scottie1421@gmail.com
Veronica, I agree with Lance King, never try to sell a home yourself unless you are licensed Realtor and really know the market. Do not follow the appraised value either. You could get 3 appraisals on your home and all 3 will be a different value. You need a very experienced Broker. If you'er not a Realtor give me a call and I'll tell you how and what to do from here. I have had 38 years experience.
Dana & Eva 888-408-4888
There are some really good sites that you will give you similar home sales in your area. If you plan on taking a stab at it on your own, try Zillow and look for similar home sold. It will also give you the homes for sale in your area.

http://www.webuyhousesonlinetoday.com
Hi Veronica,
Appraisal is a good start but today's market is changed and you never know what you can get for your home unless you put it in the market and let the buyers see your home. I do agree with Miguel Bush as for as supply and demand, and it is seller's market for sure, because of low inventory.
Price it low and drive the price up. Price it high and chase the price down. The market, (supply and demand), will determine the price. Buyers will know when it is low and will swarm it with multiple offers. When they see it too high, they will stay away. Hard honest facts, valuable if you recognize them.
It's very simple...bring in a Realtor! No only do we consider appraisal value, but details like the location, the views, the market trends in the neighborhood and so much more. I'd be glad to come to your home and talk with you.

Feel free to contact me anytime.

Cindy
619-379-8616
IF you are not using a Realtor then the appraisal is a good starting point for the pricing of your home. If you are using a Realtor they can review the appraisal and determine if it is close to the current market conditions.
The response by potential buyers will let you know it it is priced correctly. If no one comes to see the home then it is too high. If lots of people come to see it then you are on the market or maybe a bit low. If you are low then you can counter the offers to get the best price.

Local Help with Your Real Estate Needs

Jerry Heard
Your Broker
The San Diego Property Shop
http://www.TheSanDiegoPropertyShop.com
jerry.sdps@cox.net
Direct 619-920-9796
Office 619-269-5545
Fax 619-269-9168
CA DRE # 00648687
You should hire a Realtor or at least interview a few of them to determine a good sales price for your home. They will use their expertise to do a market analysis of homes that have recently sold in your area that are competitive.

Appraisal is a great way to start, and not a lot of home sellers do it.
location will determine how fast you can actually sell your home.
Depending on the area, I've seen buyers willing to buy above appraised price and willing to make up that difference in cash.

Areas by the coast are always in big demands, few inlands are also doing extremely well.

Take advantage of the current market in San Diego.
Also, please make sure you "prepare" your home for sale: even though the homes I've listed have been flying off the market, it is also good practice to take those few extra steps (small and inexpensive) that give your home the highest and best chance to receive multiple offers at or above asking price.

If you need an additional pricing suggestion on your home please email me; It's free! I'll send you some similar homes that sold in your area so that you can have a better idea.

Good luck with the sale!
First veronica you a pro like myself then, I do comps and a CMA comparative market analysis to see what the houses have sold recently in your area for,then we go from there I'm with socal realtors & associates local
Hi Veronica,

You have taken an important step forward by having an appraisal done on your home. Now, it's time to speak with a REALTOR like myself. I would be happy to meet with you, view your home and give you an opinion on how to price it. There are many reasons why people list their homes for sale. That would be a very important piece of information I would need to know.

I've been a full-time REALTOR for 10 years and my partner, Alma and I would be delighted to speak with you directly. My contact information is: carol@carolstanford.com. My cell phone is: 619-987-8766.

I do hope you'll give us the opportunity to meet with you soon.

Carol Stanford
REALTOR, ABR, CID, SFR
Silvercrest Realty Group, Inc.
DRE# 01390529
If you've had a professional appraisal done on your home, assigning an asking price should be relatively easily accomplished by working from the numbers provided by the appraiser. Remember, if dealing with a financed transaction, lenders tend to hesitate on funding when a home appraises for less than the asking price.

Appraisal the way to go, that is your best option, keep in mind, values are going up
Hi, That's a great question. It all depends on your goals and the outcome you are looking for. It will be based on your current competing available listings, current pending sales and what has sold most recently and how they compare to your home. If you'd like to get an idea for your specific zip code visit

http://www.socalhomestore.com/mimarket/

or

http://www.socalhomestore.com/sell/

Baruch Rosenberg
619-436-9500